breathing heaverly

sez ianchello

hi huh.gif can any one help me,i have a tanganyikan tank that has been set up for a while now,ph:8.5 and my hardness is up at what it should be but my fish are breathing heaverly,i dont know y they breath like this,i did a water change about week ago but its the some as i always have done it,can any one help me,cheers sez

Hi Sez

have you tested for ammonia and nitrate, sounds like you might have a ammonia spike, have you got any prime, i would do a water change and add some prime,

hope that helps

Hi Sez

have you tested for ammonia and nitrate, sounds like you might have a ammonia spike, have you got any prime, i would do a water change and add some prime,

hope that helps

iv tested for all that also and every thing is fine,i dont know what else it could be im confused can any one help,cheers sez

hi,

just a suggestion but.... whats the airation like in your tank???

If its not good, this could be a contributing factor, maybe consider adding some bubbles to your tank.

Hi Sez,

And I bet you do your water changes straight from the tap eh, with a hose?? sadsmiley02.gif

Look, the water board is always adding different things to the water, something this week, something else next week and we are never to know. Wollongong is especially notorious for this from what the other breeders down your way have said in the past. Personally, I don't think that adding prime to the water during water changes is enough. I firmly believe that water should be filtered and aged before using it for water changes.

Tangs are a lot more sensitive than Malawis but I have heard of quite a few people who have had the same probs as you without, what seems to be, a good reason. Some people have run their tank through a course of gill fluke medication with varying results.

It's really hard to say what the problem is without seeing the tank and even then, it isn't easy wub.gif .

My bet is still on the tap water but that is only my personal opinion.

Hi Sez,

And I bet you do your water changes straight from the tap eh, with a hose?? sadsmiley02.gif

Look, the water board is always adding different things to the water, something this week, something else next week and we are never to know. Wollongong is especially notorious for this from what the other breeders down your way have said in the past. Personally, I don't think that adding prime to the water during water changes is enough. I firmly believe that water should be filtered and aged before using it for water changes.

Tangs are a lot more sensitive than Malawis but I have heard of quite a few people who have had the same probs as you without, what seems to be, a good reason. Some people have run their tank through a course of gill fluke medication with varying results.

It's really hard to say what the problem is without seeing the tank and even then, it isn't easy wub.gif .

My bet is still on the tap water but that is only my personal opinion.

thanks every body for your info,from now on i will let the water age in a drum out the back,cherrs sez

Hi sez,

If you are using water through a hose straight from the tap, are you letting the water run for a few minutes first? A hose laying in the sun produces gaseous toxins from the polymers. Also, check that your water conditioner treats "alum", a common additive to the water supply, especially over summer (in Perth anyway).

Assuming that you follow "correct" water change procedures, maybe the following would be worth inspection.

1. Is the temperature too high?

2. Are you using CO2 injection? (I assume not being a Tanganyikan set-up)

3. Are your fish affected with a gill disease? (possibly gill fluke or ammonia burn from previous high levels)

4. Do the fish hang around near the top , and die in full colour?

5. Do they dart about?

6. Have you recently/frequently medicated the aquarium?

A little more info may help someone provide the answers for you.

merjo

Hi sez,

If you are using water through a hose straight from the tap, are you letting the water run for a few minutes first? A hose laying in the sun produces gaseous toxins from the polymers. Also, check that your water conditioner treats "alum", a common additive to the water supply, especially over summer (in Perth anyway).

Assuming that you follow "correct" water change procedures, maybe the following would be worth inspection.

1. Is the temperature too high?

2. Are you using CO2 injection? (I assume not being a Tanganyikan set-up)

3. Are your fish affected with a gill disease? (possibly gill fluke or ammonia burn from previous high levels)

4. Do the fish hang around near the top , and die in full colour?

5. Do they dart about?

6. Have you recently/frequently medicated the aquarium?

A little more info may help someone provide the answers for you.

merjo

i let the conditioners desovle for about a half an hour before adding to the tank,maybe it is the tempture its at 28c at the moment,i also have a curtain of bubbles going through the middle.i did a water change today and they seem to be back to normal,there not breathing heavly any more,just have to wait and see what happends,cherrs every one

Archived