Will this tropheus tank work?

j.s

Hey people, I'm pretty lost when it comes to tangs so any advice is appreciated. I am planning on setting up a 4foot X 18inch X 18inch tank with the following:

Tropheus Moorii "Kapere Red Rainbow" (colony)

Julidochromis Regani "Sumbu" or "Kipili" or Marlieri "Burundi" or "Gombe" (pair)

Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis (colony)

Synodontis Petricola (colony)

Firsly, will these guys live and breed happily in the same tank? and secondly, how many of each can I keep in a 4 foot X 18 inch tank or will I need a bigger tank?

Cheers cool.gif

this doesnt really answer your question but if you are after petricola , Heinzes shop forgotten the name but its in Mulgrave had them quite cheap same price as multies $49 but that was in January i think.

Tropheus Moorii "Kapere Red Rainbow" (colony)

Synodontis Petricola (colony)

Firsly, will these guys live and breed happily in the same tank? and secondly, how many of each can I keep in a 4 foot X 18 inch tank or will I need a bigger tank?

Cheers cool.gif

I am not sure about the Paracyp's or the Juli with Tropheus so I will only address the matters I have quoted you on.

I have a 4x18x18 that housed my T.duboisi(Maswa) while they were growing and it was fine for 18Mths-2yrs...but was then outgrown by my group of 24(+ 10 lepto's).

I did for a short while house S.multipunctatus with my duboisi but found that all spawning(or practice at that stage coz they were still young) activity stopped altogether. Once the multi's were removed they started doing their dance again. While I realise that you are talking about a different Syno, I think the fish will not know the difference and may stop spawning anyway...unless the reduction in spawning activity I observed was unrelated to the Syno's dry.gif Hopefully some more responces on this combo will help resolve any doubt.

HTH

Hi J.S

The Tropheus and Julidochromis could work. Check out this guy's link:

Tropheus and Julidochromis tankmates

I'm after some regani "Kipili" myself but go no idea who has them. If I do get them however, they'll be going into their own tank.

HTH

Cheers

Paul

Cheers for the replies!

Yeh looks like i might have to pass on the petricola if they will disturb the tropheus breeding.

Thanks for that link Paul, those Kipili look nice! let me know if you track some down.

Hi al wel that is an interesting combo, am actually thinking of somthing similar bu thay will be in a 8x2x2, lots of rocks and sand areas. currently have 4 Kachese, 10 lepto kitumbas, a melanogeny and 5 cuckoss in a 6x2x2 and all is well. except the cuckoos harrase the Kachese a bit, but they are still both very young so ok for now

I have also had dubosi and regani Kipili in the same tank, i got bloat and lost 3 duboisi, and all 4 regani, same symptoms exactaly, only the regani went way quicker..leleupi also look very nice up against a red tropheus sp. with minimal encounters...

good luck.

I currently keep 10 Nigripinnis with 14 Tropheus Moorii Kasanga Red Rainbow and 18 jumbo cyps kitumba I am keeping them in a 4x2x28high tank. For the Nigripinnis to be happy you need to provide a lot of caves they just love them and will sit in their caves watching the Tropeus chase each other. The cyps tend to inhabit the upper level of the tank and seem quite happy. The tropheus have bred but not held for long as yet so looks like breeding will happen all are very young though. A key for tropheus is numbers to spread out the aggression I would never keep less than 6 together and would prefer 10.

Hope that helps.

Trina

as most people have mentioned i would get a dcent colony of tropheus first at least 10 but the more the better, currently have 12 Kiriza, @4cm in a 3x15x15 but soon to go in the 6x2x2 in april, also will have 15+ dubois in a 4x18x18 but will be moved to a bigger tank asap.

I find that to keep tropheus happy they need heaps of room to swim, they are by far the most active fish i have ever kept, it looks soooo cool..

For what you are suggesting i would get older tropheus 6cm+, at least 12 of them, and add them to the tank after all the others have settled in, if you add the tropheus first i have found that everything else gets flogged when it is added to THEIR tank.. also i would get a much bigger tank atleast a 6x18x18, 4x2x2, or pref a 6x2x2. and have very good filtration... and remember that if the tank has tropheus in it all the fish must accept a vegy based diet, ie spirilina.

Archived