My Tanks

ctaylor

I've really enjoyed some of your photo threads so I figured it was time I started my own thread. A bit of experimenting with the camera to try get the settings right. I'll just upload a couple for the time being.

O. Tetraspilus (Mloto)

IPB Image

C. Frontosa (Burundi)

IPB Image

C. Frontosa (Burundi)

IPB Image

P. taeniolatus

IPB Image

Just a rough tankshot

IPB Image

Thanks for looking.

Thanks mate, always keen to hear fellow hobbyists opinions, a couple more of the tanks inhabitants:

A. stuartgranti (Ngara)

IPB Image

L. Caeruleus

IPB Image

P. Acei (Msuli)

IPB Image

F. Rostratus

IPB Image

O. Tetraspilus (Female)

IPB Image

P. taeniolatus (Sub Male)

IPB Image

Another tank shot

IPB Image

Hope you all like the shots.

Really nice tank!

How do you find the Frontosa get on the with Malawi's? Any aggression? or lack of colour from the different water parameters?

I've always wanted to combine some Frontosa with some of the bigger malawi species but didn't know if they would mix well.

Johann the Fronts don't have much aggression towards anyone, I've just added the terracotta pots so that the two larger male Front's have caves of their own as they were growing too big for the rockwork, they're starting to show signs of breeding so there is some aggression but most of the males will keep to their con-specifics.

I don't think that their coloring has anything to do with the water parameters, there are just enough bright males in the tank for most of them to color up nicely (especially if they want to breed). The P. taeniolatus is actually Alpha but the largest male O. Tetraspilus is trying to knock him off his throne.

Foti the Auloncara don't really spend that much time at the top of the tank, the Ottopharynx, Rostratus and Protomelas keep the top half of the tank pretty active.

Water out this way comes out of the tap at pH8, the tank normally sits on pH8.2-8.4. I tend to use the recycled water as they seem to breed more often when I do.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

couple more shots, will take some more shots of the other tanks around the house soon.

P. taeniolatus

IPB Image

C. Frontosa (Burundi)

IPB Image

O. Tetraspilus (Female's)

IPB Image

O. Tetraspilus (Female)

IPB Image

I've really enjoyed some of your photo threads so I figured it was time I started my own thread. A bit of experimenting with the camera to try get the settings right. I'll just upload a couple for the time being.

Just a friendly tip regarding the camera settings, try setting the metering to spot or at least centre weighted, in some of the photos the fish themselves are slightly underexposed whereas the background is quite bright.

Just a friendly tip regarding the camera settings, try setting the metering to spot or at least centre weighted, in some of the photos the fish themselves are slightly underexposed whereas the background is quite bright.

Thanks mate, keen to improve my skills actually, I've only ever pointed my phone at the tank so the fish just turned out dull, this was the first chance I got to borrow a descent camera. I didn't even think about the metering till you mentioned it.

For the tech minded, the shots were taken on a CANON EOS 30D, ISO 400. Exposure 1/80sec and 1/60sec. Some are automatic focus, a few are manual focus and I also played around with a sports setting. I moved the light a little forward from where it normally sits and experimented with the blue light on the tank but found I still wasn't quiet right.

Next time will organize a tripod and test all of your recommendations, pretty keen to take a few shots of the marine tank as well.

Nice tank & photo's

But your going to run out of room in there when they get full size.

Dont see any air bubbles / hope your not relying on one filter.

Thanks mate, your not wrong, some big fish in there. :thumbup:

The tank will eventually just be a home for the Fronts and individuals, with the Auloncara, O. Tetraspilus, P. taeniolatus colony's and their fry all going to different tanks.

Am constructing their new homes over the next few weeks/months, have already purchased a few new tanks (still prob not enough) just sorting out the appropriate racking, plumbing and coming up with the $ to upgrade everything.

The tank will be going onto a new rack as well as the cabinet needs a bit of TLC. :hug:

The air-stones are behind the rock on left side (turned off in the photo's), runs a 3ft wet/dry sump and at times has an Eheim 2228 canister on it (though it is currently on a juvi tank). Strict water change every weekend and a vacuum mid week.

Thats good, i'm the same as I've been changing my fish room around so had to move fish to tanks that are a bit over stocked. Weekly water change a must so cant wait to be finished.

Archived