Aequidens Maronii

Ant

Hi Ant,

I find them to be quite peaceful and gentle little fish....however the pair that have formed do chase away the other keyholes. They don't appear to pay much attention to their heterospecific tank mates though.

C. maronii

merjo

I've found them very peaceful and even shy. THey are a really beautiful little fish with lots of personality but very nervous unless their tank has plenty of hiding places. I've kept them in the past in a dwarf tank with Laetacara curviceps and they're fine together. Unfortunately both my keyholes died before breeding ( next time I'll keep them in a bigger tank). If anyone has any for sale I'm real interested.

Nick

I have purchased four little keyholes, only 3cm and i'm keeping them with my discus. They are in a 3.5ft tank so they have plenty of space to grow. Hopefully i get a couple of breeders out of this lot i have purchsed, but if not i don't care they are a little fish with huge personality biggrin.gif. They are very cheap as well so buying a batch of 4 or 5 is inexpencive at around $4-5 each.

Anthony cool.gif

Hi Anthony -

Cleithracara maronii is a great fish!!!

They are definately peaceful - though I agree with Merj they can be a bit less cheery towards conspecifics.

I bred them quite a few times - but they are terrible egg eaters so be sure the tank has LOTS of cover.

Hi Sarah

I think Keyholes might be OK with green horseface(s) when the horseface are small but they will outgrow them quite quickly as keyholes are quite small cichlids even when adult and in my experience they are nervous around larger fish.

They do well with dwarf cichlids ( rams, curviceps etc) and small catfish.

Cheers

Nick

Archived