do you need a licence to sell fish?

cooder

Hi all,

Do you need a licence to sell fish?

If so how much does it cost and how do you qualify for one?

These are questions i need answering because one the main reasons i got into cichlids is because i new you could make some money to pay for all their fussy needs.

i need some info

Cooder

As far as Im aware you currently dont need a licence to breed and sell fish (although that may change)

Im not sure if you could make a living out of breeding fish on a home hobby scale but you could make enough to cover most expenses...however this is probably the wrong reason to get into keeping fish...many of the people who get into fish to try and make money end up getting out again when they realise that its better to work at McDonalds on a minimum wage (youd get paid more per hour if you take into account the amount of work required each week to breed fish)

Mike :)

As far as Im aware you currently dont need a licence to breed and sell fish (although that may change)

Im not sure if you could make a living out of breeding fish on a home hobby scale but you could make enough to cover most expenses...however this is probably the wrong reason to get into keeping fish...many of the people who get into fish to try and make money end up getting out again when they realise that its better to work at McDonalds on a minimum wage (youd get paid more per hour if you take into account the amount of work required each week to breed fish)

Mike :)

the first time i saw cichlids in a pet store i loved the look of them. a person i know is getting a licence, she says you have to have one to sell but im not sure. also, the first time i saw the price on the fish that i was interested in i thought "holy crap, thats expensive for a fish" so i thought of selling some the fry to pay for some of the expences.

the rules for selling could just be for Qld??

anyway, thanks for the advise

Im not sure if you could make a living out of breeding fish on a home hobby scale but you could make enough to cover most expenses...however this is probably the wrong reason to get into keeping fish...many of the people who get into fish to try and make money end up getting out again when they realise that its better to work at McDonalds on a minimum wage (youd get paid more per hour if you take into account the amount of work required each week to breed

;)

No you dont need a license to sell fish in Qld if you are under 5000l(old ruling) but I recieved some info recently saying 10 000l or 50 square metres of tank space. Even tho some say its shed space. If you only have a few tanks I wouldnt be too worried. Also in Qld if you get licensed you can ONLY breed whats on SCHEDULE 6 not anything you like which doesnt leave you much.

Dont mean to be rude but have read some of your posts I would suggest doing a lot more study on the aquarium fish before even to try breeding fish. Especially for selling purposes.

no offence taken! the reason im on the forum is to gain info about the fish i want to keep.

AND ive been researching for the last MONTH NON STOP. my family is getting really peed off at me talking about it the whole time

I'm with Yellow on this answer :yes::thumb

The price you see in a shop is not the price you will be paid - and then you've got to find an outlet locally who you can sell to - and then you've got to have fish they want - and then you've got to have fish that are worthwhile.

In short; do your research as you are doing, this is key to sucess, but do it for the interest, not for money, and if any $ returns come to you, all the better.

TFH is a good mag to read as Malrift says. There are also a few produced in Oz, not sure of their names (others might be able to tell you). I find the internet to be the best source myself, but I love flicking through a colourful magazine, though I've not done it for years.

Getting into it for the purpose of making money is not gonna get you far in this hobby. The work involved is enough to make most people quit in

quite a short period of time as it can be quite labour intensive when regular water changes are done... catching brooding fish, cleaning tank

glass from algae. You really need to have a passion for the hobby to be-able to make these commitments and in saying this you must be-able to

adequately care for you slippery friends, which is easier said then done.

Cheers,

John

Archived