Beard Algea

Busta Ry

Hey i have this stuff growing all over my tank on wood, glass, gravel and plants. Dont know how to get rid off it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

p.s i have 4 discus, 1 bn, 2 albino catfish in the tank

I wouldn't put Siamese Algea eaters in there.

While they are young they eat algea, when they mature they prefer the slime coat of other fish, especially cichlids. ie your discus.

I would look for a more suitable catfish.

I can't think of which one would suit your water parameters as discus prefer acidic water.

Maybe a chemical soloution migjht be your answer.

If they can keep outdoor ponds clean then maybe they can help you.

Better keep asking for advice in that department too as I have never had to deal with that problem.

Don't feed him and he will get going. They tend to eat food and the algae onthe tank walls first.

(p.s. St George has as true SAE, I was there last week and they had a tank of small ones. I got mine from there. It's amazing going back to a shop you got your little fish from and seeing how small they are when they are young).

• 2 weeks later...

SAE's will be a great help but you still need to put some effort into it, check your Water parameters & lighting effort. Good place to start is http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm that will help identify your types of algae and how to get rid of it. Also google your type of algae and it should bring some users experience dealing with the sort.

Archived