sick angelfish

Cannula

Hi,

I hope that someone could help me, I have a marble cross koi angel fish and it is having trouble swimming. It is currently in a holding tank. When it is in the tank, it apears to get stuck head first in the corner of the tank. Its colour is very good, besides the swimming difficulties It looks like a very healthy fish. Has anyone got some advice for me? I don't want to let the poor thing suffer.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Cannula,

A few questions for you which may help determine the problem.

1. Is there any body weight loss?

2. Are the colours intensified?

3. Is the fish able to remain motionless in the water without floating head down?

It sounds most likely to be an infected or otherwise damaged air bladder. Often infections of other internal organs can produce similar symptons. If it is a bacterial/coccal infection of the bladder/inernal organs/blood, then an antibiotic may help.

Another course of action which may prove helpful is raising the temperature by no more than 1 degree per hour. The idea behind this is to create an environment which the pathogen will find intolerable. Not all species can tolerate the higher temperatures, so you need to list your other tank members. Angels will be fine for a short period (3 days) at up to 33C.

HTH.

merjo

PS make sure that the water is very clean and that it is well aerated.

Hi, thankyou for your reply.

It apears the same apart from the abnormal swimming. To make matters worse, another angel started showing similar problems this morning.

They tend to hold themselves in the water fine, and there colour and weight havn't changed. I will try what you sugested.

Thankyou

hi there , could be an bactreial problem.u could try some medicated food i have some made up in the fridge just in case . get some metdonazole and a 100grams of frozen food defrost the food and crush 5 tablets and mix it in and the return it to the original frozen food packet and refrezze and just feed to the fish for 5 days and then stop .hopefully this might help. ask the lfs if they have it some shops carry it . hope this helps u good luck shaz smile.gif

Sorry for you loss sadsmiley02.gif ...hopefully the others will be ok. So hard to recommend treatments for fish, especially without proper identification of the disease.

merjo

Cannula

Sorry for your loss

How long were the angels in your tank before they started to get sick? (ie - how long had you been keeping them). Were they relatively new?

Hi,

we had them for about 6 mths. They were full grown when I brought them.

Ive got another angel in the tank, and it is starting to look a bit sick too. i have had that one for about 1 year.

Right -

Have you added any new fish to the tank recently? Done anything differently in the tank recently?

Apart from loosing their ability to swim - are there any other symptoms?

Hi,

We added a gold severum about 3 weeks ago.

They did look fairly healthy, but they seem to have some discolouration on their scales. The other angel is now looking a little better. The other fish are not effected. We have a green severum, gold severum, two Jewels, travase, convict,

Blue Dolphin, bristlenose, rainbow, auratus, red devil, cobolt blue, tropheus duboisi(?), lombardi and the surviving angel.

Well im out of ideas - from what you described it sounded like some kind of "shock", as i have seen angels go down with something similar when a whole lot of pH down was added to a tank (by accident), but it doesnt sound like you have done anything stupid like that. Perhaps the new fish you added a few weeks ago brought a disease into the tank. Which disease? Im not sure??? sadsmiley02.gif

Sorry

WW

Thanks for trying Willy, I think angels are a bit too fragile at times sadsmiley02.gif .

All the Africans apart from the jewels are going into my 4' before the Malawi Blue Dolphin gets too big, but that could be over a year. My oscars, pleco, and texas are going from that 4' into a 5 or 6' when I can afford one, and hopefully the Red Devil from the current 3'. If not he has a 3' setup with jewel juvs that he can have soon. biggrin.gif

Archived