Tropheous

gswalker

Hi,

Seem like such simple questions but definately not the space here to reply in full.

Can I suggest such excellent sites as Steve Corbetts Tropheus if you are even thinking of keeping these special fish.

It took me a period of five years of fish keeping, extensive reading, picking peoples brains until I finally purchased my first colony.

All Tropheus are importable so you just have to decide on a species. Tropheus duboisi are a good place to start due to their hardiness - in Tropheus land that is.

I would only recommend to serious fish enthusiasts - get the largest colony you can afford, place them in a BIG tank with rockwork if you wish to imitate their natural environment (I have found that a number of smaller territories as opposed to one big one suits my fish) and love them with routine biggrin.gif .

Weekly water changes of 25-50% - these little buggers do not handle nitrates at all. One to two daily feeds of good quality spirulina flake and/or pellets and fresh veges. Add a dose of luck and fingers crossed I have not lost one yet in 2 years - I have jinxed myself now - before the big move and all uuuggghhh ohmy.gif

I keep a number of species, those old enough are breeding well cannot bring myself to sell any off - as yet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I have a colony of 17 Ikola for sale$600 they are about3 years old now having roughly 8 young a mouthful willing to freight at your expense.Tropheus are quite unforgiving in some aspects of there husbandry but are potentialy quite easy.I find in a very sunlite position to facilatate plenty of algae growth they can constantly browse greatly reducing there inclination to get bloat.I've found mine almost bullet proof keeping them this way.

Regards Chris

Everything Aline just mentioned. thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In addition to the price it all depends on the species you decide to keep.

I've started with a colony of 15 duboisi "Maswa" after some extensive reading and speaking to a few experienced people with Tropheus and I'm very happy with them.

I use Seachem Tanganyikan buffer and Cichlid salt to keep the water pH at 9.0 and 15-16 degrees kH. Mix this with 50% weekly water changes, water temperature at 25-26 degrees and a diet of OSI spirulina flake (twice per day) and they're very happy.

HTH

Cheers

Paul

Can I suggest such excellent sites as Steve Corbetts Tropheus if you are even thinking of keeping these special fish.

Can you please provide a link. Can't find it on Google search.

I have 2 groups of Tropheus. Both live in large groups with minimal rockwork(3-4 rocks per colony) and spawn regularly. I have some Clout on stand-by, tho many recomend other treatments, in case there is a change with their eating(a usual sign of Bloat). I have has the duboisi for over 2 years now and have had to treat for Bloat 3 times...2 out of 3 times the Bloat has gone B4 the full treatment-period has expired. I have also treated Bloat with Octazin without success...but I understand Octazin will work if you treat the fish very early.

I have 26 duboisi who share a tank with 10 lepto's. I also have Steve's K1 colony of 33 adults and 10-12 fry.

I feed these guys Sera-Flora(small amounts) 3-4 times per day and, as has been suggested, do weekly 40-50% water changes. Once a month I treat them with a small amount of Brine-shrimp and basically bore them with routine.

I too use Seachem Tanganyikan buffer and that is all I add to my aged water when doing a water change but do not use the salt.

Tropheus are one of the most rewarding species of Cichlids to keep and are totally different to other tanks, in that their activity and tank dynamics are very busy and always in motion.

user posted image

user posted image

I have a colony of 20 Illangi's, probably 12-18 months old '3 different bloodlines', in a 4x2x2

i have also ordered 15 maswa fry off anita will be adding another 10 off a local bloodline a few days after i recieve anita's. These will be going in a 5x18x20" tank.

And i have some Ikola's on the way as well.

I feed OSI spirlina flakes frozen brine and also used to have some floating 'duck weed' in a previous tropheus tank housing some bemba.

Hi all I have 12 tropheus sp black Kiriza, in a 3x15x15 they are small @2-4cm, they will be going to my new 8x2x2 in a few weeks.

Also am getting 15+ dubosi (thanks Anita) on Wednesday, these will be grown up an introduced to my lonley male duboisi eventually, and will be housed in a 6x2x2.

I also have tropheus sp Red Kachese, only 4, in a community type setup with 10 lepto kitumbas, 1 melanogenie, 5 cuckoos, IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A SUPPLY OF MORE KACHESE I AM VERY INTRESTED, IN 10..

All my tanks have the home made buffer receipe, a pH of 8.5 KH-13, and Gh 12.

they recieve a weekly 1/5 water change.

Archived