Off to Singapore tomorrow

Daniel

This is probably a stupid question, but a genuine one. I am off to Singapore tomorrow for a few days work and play. Can I bring a bag or two of fish back from Singapore in my luggage ? What are the rules ?

DEFINITELY NOT!

the rules in aussie are one of the most strictest in the world in regards to quarantine and non native fish. (pests and diseases...etc..)

well i've gone to singapore and malaysia on many ocassions and YES i do agree with u that it is VERY tempting to smuggle in a couple baby super red golden back arowana fry...but if they catch u, (which they most probably will) u will get fined in the thousands of dollars.

you are however allowed to buy filters, pumps, nets, powerheads, accessories etc. BUT NO fish food. i managed to bring back some fish food, but half of what i bought got confiscated at customs.

hope that helps and happy holidaying!!! laugh.gif

Be sure to drop by at Gan Aquariums to oggle at all the plecos.... laugh.gif

Then if you feel like a look at one of the biggest fish exporters in the world, drop by at Qian Hu.... Only Public listed fish company I know of in the world!

U can see, but u cannot touch.... biggrin.gif And if you decide that temptation is too great, don't say we didn't warn you when u get slapped with a 5 figure dollar fine. blush.gif

Yeah australian custom is hash... I got done over for being too lazy to fill in the forms that says you brang this blah back the country... was some years ago ago.. I was 15 at the time and fined like $250.

I wouldnt even think of trying to bring in a fish.... Enjoy your holiday if you can bring some photos. I bet would be alot interested in the fish shops over there.

I used to know some people on a forum who smuggled fish back into Australia in coke bottles unsure.gif ...

They put water in an empty coke bottle that had turned browny/yellow from wood staining the water and then added the fry/young fish. Stick a straw in the top and pretend it's your drink or something..

Not that I reccomend trying this as it's illegal, and if you bring over any diseases etc... unsure.gif

Definately No! AQIS may have something to say about your live fish, and dont forget that all bags are now x-rayed. You dont want them to set one of their attack beagles onto you!

AQIS guidelines

Plus remember that the rules are there for a good reason. Didnt you listen to Steve Irwin - Quarantine - dont muck with it!

Guys -

I agree with Willy here. The SCP and its admins/mods do NOT condone any behaviour of this sort. Moreover, this forum is regularly watched by officers from AQIS and EA. As someone else has said - even joking about this is a quick way to get yourself stopped at customs.

Don't bring animals/plant material into Australia. There are reasons the laws are so strict on what you can import and in the vast majority of cases (in the case of import laws) I completely agree with the ban on cichlid (and other) pet fish imports.

Nice of our friends from AQIS to visit us ..hello guys and welcome

Can u please help us legally bring in the fish that we all want so that others don't have to resort to this type of ilegal stupidity biggrin.gif

Be good and keep breeding what u got cause in many cases we will not get them in again wub.gif

I've just come back from a few days abroad

While waiting for our bags to come the lady standing next to me was sniffed and jumped all over by the custom's beagle.

When they opened her bag to see what was catching the dogs attention they found two funny looking birds that were either very drugged or dead in chip bags.

The lady was quickly wisked away, but another bloke asked what the birds were and what was going to happen to her.

The quaratine lady didn't know the bird species but said that matter involving animals usually carried fines of at least $2500 (usually much more) and often went to court, especially if the animal was a disease carrier.

So yeh, basically don't try anything, customs is getting sooo strict. There were sniffer dogs at every bag collection I went to and my bags even got xrayed 3 times. Once for customs, once to board the plan and the last time when u go thru the something to declare gate.

Got to remember there is more security now days following world events. Bags are checked more closely. sadsmiley02.gif

Some internatinal cricketers were stopped & slapped on the wrists for dirty cricket boots. blush.gif

I mentioned on a NZ forum about going there on holidays, & I got private emails left right & centre about the old egg routine rolleyes.gif Didn't realise sheep had eggs dry.gifbiggrin.gif

Seriously, not worth the risk, I think.

TDG, I know of an importer in Brissie who gets there discus stock from Malayasia & they are looking at Singapore at the moment. & to answer your question,

??? the costs.

Frenchy huh.gif

Just enjoy what fish are here!!!!!!!!! As many of us in the herp world would love exotics in our collection (which we just discused) but we will never own them here in Oz.

So just enjoy what fish are here and be greatful that you are allowed what your allowed. As many fish arnt even meant to be here (Fontosa, Bristlenoses and who doesnt own these guys!)

Just my thoughts! cool.gif

Thanks for the advice and also the interest in the subject everyone.

I was having dial up internet problems last week and couldnt find the Aust customs website so thanks Wombat. Also thanks Kevkoi for the recommendations, I will take those up.

[Edit] As has been stated futher up the thread, please do not even joke about trying to break the import laws. We really dont want the authorities seeing jokes on here and taking them the wrong way.

Be sure to drop by at Gan Aquariums to oggle at all the plecos.... laugh.gif

Then if you feel like a look at one of the biggest fish exporters in the world, drop by at Qian Hu.... Only Public listed fish company I know of in the world!

U can see, but u cannot touch.... biggrin.gif And if you decide that temptation is too great, don't say we didn't warn you when u get slapped with a 5 figure dollar fine. blush.gif

Kev,

Malaysia has one public listed fish company too !! Xian Leng, the Arowana experts.

BTW, Daniel do drop by Cichlids Forever in Upper Serangoon Road for the best Cichlids and Oddballs !!! He's Jeff Rapps distributor and has a lot of WC Tangs as well. You will drool indefinitely. Have you seen a 1 foot Fahaka Puffer ?

It's a real pity you can't bring them into Australia, but just to whet your appetitie, it's a must go shop.

I just came back from there yesterday and with me I've a whole load of Central Americans from Breihdohri, Chuco Intermedius, Hartwegi, Dovii's and a whole lot more.

Qian Hu would also be an experience !!!! They are one of the largest ornamental fish distributors in the region.

Apart, for Apistos there's Pet Safari and Biotope.

BTW, I'm Malaysian !!! smile.gif

hmmm...I'm Singaporean and I did not know about Qian Hu. blush.gif

I'll be going back to Singapore for about 1 - 1-1/2 mths. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I will definitely check the place out.

Another fish shop you may want to go to is Rainbow aquariums at a place called Serangoon. My favourite fish shop. Lots of goldies and Koi. Has a good stock of cichlids too. They are pretty big in Singapore too.

I can't wait to go back. I miss home soooo badly.

cheers

smithy

Gans aquariums are not that big anymore apparently, so I didnt bother trekking out there. I went out to Aquafauna fish farm the other day which is on the other side of the island. Quite interesting. Thanks Real Cichlid, I will try to get out to Cichlids forever and the appisto place you mentioned.

Archived