Red Empress (Protomelas taeniolatus - spl?) fry

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question, what's the going rate for Red Empress fry?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers

Richard

I dont know whether red empress fry are faster or slower than any other fry - they may be ...i dunno.

What I can tell you is if you want you fry to grow quickly:

As soon as they are free swimming and no longer have the yellow egg sack you should feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp. When you think they are large enough to take crushed dry food - crush up a comnination of good quality flake/pellet food and feed this to them as often as you can. For example: Feed all they can eat in 10 seconds every 5 minutes until they cant eat anymore. More frequent feeding seems to help fry grow quicker. Do as many water changes as you can - if the fry are small make sure the water you put in is close to the water paramaters in the tank. Some breeders do a 50% water change everyday on their fry tanks to speed up their growth.

I think he ment how much they cost...

The answer is... bugger all.

Im assuming around $3 - 6 estimate in a private sale.

Even when they are rather large they dont cost all that much.

They do take ages to get big and show colour... so personally i'd rather buy a colony off someone.

Thanks for the reply folks.

$3 - $6, about as much as I thought (I thought $6 was reasonable).

Are you guys saying there's not much demand for Red Empress fry? If so I'm surprised...they're such a fantastic looking fish (the fully coloured males)...

Thanks again,

Richard

Last count there were 11. They ready for sale I think (approx 2cm). I'm looking for $6 each....

Not sure about getting them to Cairns though!

Cheers

Richard

Hi there,

I am selling my atm for $2.50 ea and are btw 4-5cm.

I must say I am not keen on shipping.

If you see my post at qld cichlid forum you see a pic of dad.

I will not have many more empress fry's in the near future.

My cuckoo catfish are ready to breed and I've heard that empress cichlids are good host.

I agree they are a nice looking fish, thats why I've bought them in the first place.

Cheers Ziggy

Archived