opinions on betta basics

petetong

I have read quite a few different things regarding some of the "basics" of bettas. I was wondering if I could get some opinions from people who actually spend time with these cool fish. First, how do you know when the female is ready to breed? How often should you feed - especially how often should you give live food? Do they like those small tanks they get sold in or should I move my males out?

Any opinions would be helpful, thanks in advance...

There is alot of information over the net on how to breed and keep betta's, there's probably alot on this forum alone, so i suggest looking through the forum you should find a wealth of information. There is also a betta forum.

I will try answer a few of your questions but i am in no means a betta pro.

-should feed up females with high protein foods to fatten her up, i beleive live foods are great especially blackworms.

-females are ready to breed when they bar up, they also develop a white spot near the anal opening, egg tube? some other name in which i cant remember right now.

-males should be kept in a heated tank of about 15 cm depth? introduce female in a jar so they can see each other but no contact.

-he should build a bubble nest, introduce female.

-they will wrap themselves around each other and male might look quite aggressive, he should squeeze and fertilisae eggs, pick them up with his mouth and put them in bubble nest.

-when fry hatch cover tank with glad wrap to keep humid.

thats very brief...but theres alot of stuff on the net...so good luck

Ron

Hey, Dont breed em, so no info on that. But concerning tank size. If they are in a tiny container like seen in pet shops, id move him into a bigger one. How much bigger depends on the fish. Mine is housed in a 3L Vase and he is happy as chips, but when i moved him into my larger 17L tank, he just wasnt happy at all, so in the small vase he stays. Others roam quite happily in 3ft tanks. All depends on your fish.

Another question your also bound to ask is what else can i keep with my betta? Well again i think that depends on size of your tank, but more importantly the fishes temperment. Mine doesnt tolerate any fish at all. in the 17L he chased all the other fish till they stressed and died, but i have seen others living in similar sized tanks and dont worry other fish at all.

Ok well thats my thoughts, ive only had limited expereince tho, but others will hve heaps of knowledge.

grungie

• 1 month later...

hmmmm, i say 3ltr minimum for bettas. Females will become fat with eggs when ready and have horizontal bars as Momo said. The glad wrap is also a good point made by Momo as if fry breath air much colder than the water they reside in they will probably die. Every thing momo said is spot on. One thing i would add is to remove the female ASAP after spawning because the male will Kill her protecting his nest and the female will eat tyhe eggs. Do water changes every couple of days slow flow out and slow flow in with new water of same temperature. One other thing i would add is PLEASE spawn the fish at temp 30-32 Oc other wise the fry are very susceptable to white spot and other diseases as well as the temperature helping in the growth of the fry.

Anthony cool.gif

PS: sorry if iv'e retold information you already know biggrin.gif but i always like a second opinion myself, so i felt obliged.

definately 3Ltr minimum for bettas. If ya can put them in a bigger tank, do it, i feel bad having them in a small tank. My space hating betta died recently sadsmiley02.gif but i have now got another. Will try to get him into a bigger tank and hopefully he likes the space more than the other one did.

I put my Betta in my 100L aquarium - I too felt horrible keeping him in a little bowl. It took him a couple of weeks to settle in - I think he was having trouble with the current from the filter, so I adjusted that so he had an easier time.

Since then, and now that the plants are really starting to grow, he seems to love it. He thinks he owns the tank now and chases the cory's around. laugh.gif

I'm about to transfer him into a 1ft planted nano-cube with a small bn and maybe a couple of cory's (panda's maybe?). Hopefully he'll enjoy that too.

Archived