Help needed

BaZ

Hi all

I am looking for some opinions on the photos below. There are 2 things I am trying to determine.

-Is the fish in pic 1 the same fish as in pic 2 and 3?

-If the fish are the same, what kind of fish is it?

Thanks for your help, all opinions are appreciated smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

IMHO - they look like completely different fish.

I took the pictures of the bottom two fish. Either way I don't know what a red rubin looks like so my opinion doesn't count for much laugh.gif

Cheers

Paul

The first pic. looks like A. jacobfreibergi possibly "red rubin"

The other two look more like A. stuartgranti possibly "cobue"....but I am far from an Aulonocara expert....so it's really just an uneducated guess. rolleyes.gif

merjo

I have seen stuartgranti (no location) display a characteristic where some males were very dark (second two pics) and some were very bright (first pic), dominance did not seem to make a differance as in this particular tank it was the darker male that was completely dominant over the rest and infact killed alot of others of similar size. Yet in another tank with a sibling of the dark male it was the colourfull bright male that was dominant.

Anthony cool.gif

Top pic is definitely an A.jacobfreibergi 'red rubin', got one in the display tank at work, perfect match!

Other two pics are a completely differnt fish in my opinion, and have to agree, looks more like a stuartgranti than a jacobfreibergi.......

Jon

The fish in pic 1, 2 and 3 are all Aulonocara, but the fish in pic 1 is a different species to the one in 2 and 3.

Pic 1 looks like an Aulonocara Stuartgranti Chidunga Rock or maybe a Red Rubin

Pic 2 looks a bit like an Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maulana Bi Colour 500 but it does not have as much yellow on its shoulder as most Maulana. It might be crossed with another type of stuartgranti or maybe it could be a different variant altogether.

as ive said above , i sent him down the fish in pic one and the fish in pic 2 , the one in pic 2 / 3 is a red shoulder , he was sub to one other that i sent to heiu

mt , ive sent baz a pic of it aswell before it left here , i can tell you what it is as it did get very dark like that ,the question ive got now is how the hell can he tell whats the fem redshoulder in that lot if its all in the same tank ,

Archived