4ft tank questions

mermaid

1 - Heating: Would 1 300W heater be okay to heat a 4ftx18" (hopefully - may just be 4ftx14")??

2 - Filtration: Okay I'm really confused by all the different types of filters available so could someone just tell me a non-expensive and easy filter to buy??

By non-expensive, I mean $50 and under.

By easy, I mean no fiddly little bits and pieces that take ages to clean and can be broken easily by a ditz like myself cool.gif

Also.. what's the difference between these and which works out cheaper in the long run:

blink.gif Canister, Internals, Hang-ons, Powerheads unsure.gif

Hi mermaid

Im pretty sure you will need a canister filter for a four foot tank, depending really on what and how many fish you will be haveing in the tank. A sponsor on here at the moment has a canister for an introductory price of $99.95 which is awesome.

(could a mod put the name of the sponser for me, not sure if im allowed)

It will be well worth spending the extra $50 cause there are no fiddly bits and you will only have to clean it every couple of months. Also, all you will need after that is an airstone and heater.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, Alan.

$99?! ohmy.gif ahh.. I cant afford that! seriously.. blink.gif I only work 2 days a week! I'm trying to save $150 for the tank, then it'll be able $60 for the fish..

I also won't be allowed to buy a $99 filter. My mum would put a stop to it straight away.

ALSO the tank won't be against any walls at all so I dont want something big showing heaps.. I was thinking an internal filter like this one:

http://www.equarium.com.au/store/detail.as...al+Power+Filter

Would that be okay? Or maybe the next step up even? unsure.gif

mermaid

your best bet would be to buy a 2nd hand filter either an aqua clear 500 or canister

if new is out of your budget.Why not place a wtb in the classifieds

cheers

Why does everybody instantly write off air-powered filtration methods?

I for one have had great success using air powered box or DIY filters in large (at times heavily stocked) tanks.

I know for certain many big scale breeders with outstanding reputations use solely air powered filtration in their fish rooms. The best example springing to mind was Anita's room, which has just been has been or just about to be dismantled sad.gif

The room ran almost solely on air: side drop filters, and ice cream tub (or margerine tubs for little tanks tongue.gif) DIY jobs.

I would recommend a couple of sponge filters, and a decent airpump (combined well under $50). Even one should be fine.

Also, hetaing will depend on hown cold your house gets. My brother lives pretty close to you, and needs 2x 300W heaters in his standard 4' tank. But his loungeroom gets REAL cold on winter nights if the fire isnt burning all night.

Archived