Hey Richard

Willy Wombat

Mmm my wallet certainly agrees with you Ducksta. Im thinking about adding a background to the tank. Perhaps some blue or black cardbord? (cant afford any more fiberglass!!!)

Thanks for the encouragement on the photos. Having never kept shellies before, i find that their addition to the tank has been fantastic. They really are full of "attitude". Amazing little pocklet bulldozers

They have been showing signs of breeding, and the small A. compressiceps in the tank have been lurking around the shells looking for a bite to eat. I want them to grow fast, so i dont plan to breed with the occies for a few months.

All good. Now as soon as my broken leg heals, I can do effective water changes, and the cyps in my tank colour up, i will be happy. cool.gif

Willy,

Looks like they have settled in quite nicely. I knew I should have gone for a 4x2x2 instead of the boring standard 4' er laugh.gif . Your setup looks great so good in fact that I might put a in birthday order in for some of those rocks they look sensational thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

What substrate did you go for in end and how is your fluval handling the tank size?

My display tank is green again and I am not sure what to do anymore as I have been doing everything the same and by the book for the past 18 months with great results. The tank goes from slightly cloudy to are there any fish in there every 2 weeks now. My other 3 tanks are fine and crystal clear oh well what are you going to do.

cheers

rosco

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hey Willy

Awww shucks, aint they cute? Just be careful not to put your hand too close to the shells when cleaning the tank. Those guys have teeth and they know how to use them. It can't be easy for a Piranha to be stuck inside the body of a 1.5-2 inch fish cichlid, but they somehow manage tongue.gif

Don't be surprised when they start breeding. The female will get especially protective of her shell and then 3-4 days later you will notice a few 3mm babies hanging around the edge of the shell waiting for food scraps to drift by. The best thing to do will be to remove the shell, babies and all but not the mother, into a small tank. Just replace the shell with a similar looking one and they'll be breeding again in another 3 weeks. Good luck!

Those rocks look good alright, can I ask how much Randall stung you for them?

Cheers

Richard

Um from memory i think it was $90 for the big pointy rock, and $80 for the slightly smaller, rounder one. They fit in through the top of my tank by about 2 millimeters, and insertion required the use of a lot of swear words. blink.gif I ordered them about a month before i could pick them up, as he is very busy with some bigger projects at the moment. Still, IMO - worth the wait.

Substrate in the tank is coral sand - (also not cheap). I got sick of hunting around for crushed marble, and other white substrates, and forked out the bucks for what randle had available. I am stil debating if i should add the last bag of substrate. I think i will wait until i can get a foam block to add onto the intake pipe of the filter, as some of the fish seem to spit smaller pieces of croal into the filter. DOH!

The filtration on the tank is a fluval 404. I am a little dissapointed in this filter as it can be noisy. It also seems to build up trapped gas in the chamber which i have to remove through rocking the filter back and forth. On the filtration side of things though it does a very good job.

Glad you liked the photos guys

WW

Phenom - they are hollow mate - fiber glass, so they are very light.

This link will take you to a photo of what they look like on the inside.

I dont think i would ever put real rocks that big in my tank. Too risky, too heavy.

Cheers

WW

Substrate in the tank is coral sand - (also not cheap). I got sick of hunting around for crushed marble, and other white substrates, and forked out the bucks for what randle had available.

I've had the opposite problem, I wanted coral sand but all I could find was crushed marble. I did a bit of a ring around (quiet at work last week).

Both Jem's and Susan's Pets only carry crushed marble (Jem's want $55 for a 25kg box).

Randal didn't have any coral sand in stock but assured me when they have it they are the cheapest in town rolleyes.gif

Powells carry coral sand @ $14.70 for a 5kg bag

Tracey has some coral sand but it is $82 for a 20kg bag blink.gif

That's as far as my grand search got.

Out of interest how big is your tank and how much substrate did you put in?

Cheers

Mike

Skippy - its a 4*2*2, and i have about 20kg in there. I need another 5kgs (i think). The deal @ powells looks pretty good. I payed about $20/5kg @ fibs. Very expensive, and that was talking him down from about $28/5kgs. It is good quality substrate (clean, and small), especially for the africans. At least I will never have a ph problem.

I like Randals idea of having the best prices in town. ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif . Perhaps i will have to take him up on that next time i am in there!

Anyway good luck in your search Skippy

WW

Hey Richard - saw 2 fry darting into one shell this morning. Shame im not set up to breed just yet. ohmy.gif The A. comprecisseps are looking very hungry!

Did a water change and the females (2) that have been guarding shells just lay acrossd the top of the shells to stop the sand getting into them. They also attack the gravel vaccume if it comes too close.

Very interesting stuff.

Cheers

Steve

Willy,

Congrats I assume wink.gif I knew I should have bought them that fateful night laugh.gif . I have been trying to get my stuff together for over a year to try and get a breeding program going. I am not fussy I just would like something to breed, anything just something (except my algea I don't have a problem there laugh.gif ). BTW Willy I have left my light off for last 2 days and it may be starting to work but I might be hoping against hope.

cheers

Rosco

Keep your head up rosco. Im sure we can overcome your algae problem soon mate. Let me know what the tank looks like in a few more days of no light.

(You need to get that spare 4 foot tank converted into a breeding tank). Get rid of those convicts and get some some Electric blue girls to go in with your lovely electric blue boy and i guarantee success within a couple of weeks! He looks like he is raring and ready to go.

thanks man, I will. The convicts are going this weekend I finally found a home for them thumbsupsmileyanim.gif . So all I need are the E-blue girls and hopefully hug.gif . But that might have to wait till I can get to Sydney as no-one around here seems to have any available. The ones that I buy at the LFS all seem to be boys laugh.gif

Cheers

Rosco thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Did you put an EOI in the clasifieds? You should. Im sure you can hook up with a supplier at the upcoming NSWCS mini auction if someone gives you a lift.

Hey Rosco

I bought 4 E.Blues from Anita Ozfish when she came up from Sydney last October. 3 males and you guessed it a female that I want to get rid of because I want to avoid cross breeding. You got anything to swap for her? Preferably something that didn't come from Laurie. No offense to Laurie but half the fish I have came from him and I do want to keep the bloodlines fresh.

Otherwise, make an offer. She's a reasonable size, probably 6-7cm and not too far off breeding.

Cheers

Richard

PS - Good on you Willy. I told you they were goers laugh.gif

richard,

I was at the same auction and I bought anita's tawian reefs and I still have 4 left. I am not sure what sexes they are as they are late developers I believe. But I believe that these fish may be decentants from lauries tawians, but he can confirm. But failing that I am sure that we can work something out with the female but we should probably do it via PM and email perhaps to keeps the mods happy wink.gif .

The only problem that I can see is that my eblue is really around 12-15cm so he might eat her laugh.gif but he is worth breeding as he does have great markings and colour. I believe him to be a white blaze do you know if yours are the same variant? I don't really understand the various discussions that I see on the board except that I know that there is are different variants.

Willy I was going to but I am not if I can get a lift

cheers

Rosco

hi guys,

re: taiwan reef. no not descendants but I believe they're related.... cousins?

I'm planning on going up to the nswcs meeting but won't know until later in the week if I have a spare seat Rosco... will pm you if I do.

Hey Rosco, you won't believe it but I have four Taiwans from the same source on the same night. We probably bid each other up

Look, I bet we can arrange something. Maybe I could bring her along to the next meeting and you could buy her for $2 or something. That would be fine by me. You ok to wait for a couple of weeks?

Cheers Richard

Hey richard, come to think of it I do remember bidding against someone laugh.gif . I am sure that I can give you a couple more bucks than that, but I can wait till the meeting.

Thanks Laurie. I have been given clearance to go so if you are going and you have a spare seat that will be great thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

Also re: Taiwans if they are not direct decendants of your fish do you think that it will be OK to try and breed them if I got one from you or should I try and source a male/female from somewhere else.

cheers

Rosco thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived