first spawn from Green Severum died

jamie

A few days ago I was excited to come home and see that my Heros severus (Green Severums) that I had raised from fry had spawned on a rock. After the first day there were a few scattered white (dead) eggs which I thought was ok... but on the second day there were more dead than alive ... and on the third day the male had cleaned the rock clean. I was really dissapointed!!!! I have them both in a 3ftx14x18 by themselves and now they seem to be avoiding each other... both staying at opposite ends of the tank. Is this normal???

thanks for any help that you may be able to give me on this,

Jamie

hi

I have a pair of gold severums and they are the worst parents ever, They will cort each other , mouth fit kinda, then afetra few days lay eggs heaps .as soo as they are finished he beats up the female to the other end of the tank . then he looks after then for about a day, 2 max. If i dont get them out he eats them all, then tries to get bussy with the female again... i have had almost no success raising the eggs myself the best is currently 2 week, have one batch at the moment just started free swimming and are eating crushed flake and liquid fry food. they wilkl breed again in about 3 weeks if i remove the eggs..

If the eggs are all dying on the rock they are probably not fertile so they will remove the dead ones. Usually before mine hatch there would be maybe 20 dead eggs out of a few hundred....

HI

Is there anychance that they have hatched and wriggled under a rock or something. I had that with my convicts first spawn. The crusts of the eggs remaind and they parents were at opposite ends and the fry were under a rock that mum attended to when the male was asleep in his cave.

????? Just a thought.

Memphis cool.gif

Hi Jamie,

You have got several possibilities with the severums.

1. The male is not fertile or did not paticipate in the spawning.

2. The pair are still too young and or inexperienced to reproduce.

3. The male is not a male and you have two females spawning (many will do this taking it in turns to lay eggs but needless to say with little to show for it but infertile eggs.

But on a brighter note I have no doubt that they will spawn again in the next couple of weeks, who knows you may be around when they do and you will get a better idea if they are doing what they need to.

They are great fish, so I would suggest hang in there and see what happens next time around.

Good Luck.

John.

ive spawned and raised severum fry before, with the two pairs that i had they were both great parents and they took turns in eating, looking after the fry, chasing off other tankmates.

my thoughts or course of action would be:

-make sure you have a definate pair, male and female just seeing one wriggler is a good enough indication, as well as knowing he/she of fertile.

-give them abit more time to mature as it was their first spawn, in time maybe after a few spawns they will get their act together.

hopefully it all works well a pair with fry look absolutely amazing especially when their doing it together. So have some patience and i hope it all works out for you and them but dont give up!

Ron

thankyou all very much for the responses. unfortunately there were no fry, but I will just leave them and see what happens. I will edit this post with a pic of them tonight and see if anyone can make sure I have a male and female.... I noticed thismorning that they have started swimming togeather again...

Thanks again,

Jamie

Archived