Medicine for sick fishies?

Teamsherman

Hi, i have a sick Red devil (poor thing), and i want to know if the brand (or name) Melafix will cure most or all fish ailments?

The red devil was beat up by the biggest one in the tank, and is now in my hospital tank with white fluffy stuff (about 1cm in width) covering the wounds on the fish. I was informed by someone that this was fungus. Will melafix get rid or it and will melafix get rid of a small amount of whitespot on another one of my fish?

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

Melafix your Red Devil and this will help with the Fungus. Give him regular water changes and good food.

White spot needs an increase in temperature and dosing with Ickaway or a similar product in the hospital tank. The heat will increase the life cycle of the Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, which is a protozoan; the medication will kill it when it is in the water (part of its life cycle)

What fish has the white spot and what tank is it in with?

Thanks for the reply Cichlids_au

The fish that has the white spot is a goldfish that i was using to cycle a tank, but because he (they) have lived so long and are such good cleaners i have decided to keep them in the tank with my rainbow cichlids and b/n cats. It is only a slight case of it but i want to get rid of it before it gets bad.

Also, can i just treat the whole tank incase it is in the early stages in the other fish too?

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

Cichlids_au, sorry about the name.

How long should i have the bristlenose out of the tank for? considering that i have driftwood, a HOB filter, and a air driven sponge filter in the tank and a pant (not sure of the name but it is pretty common with 2-3inch long light green leaves).

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

I havent ever heard of it harming BN cats, or any fish for that matter (if dosed as drected, overdosing does damage things)

It isnt an antifungal as such, its a mild antibacterial.

Pimafix focusses more on the antifungal, but thats only just been released in Aus.

The best way to think of Melafix is like fish Dettol. Great for cuts and scrapes and minor infections, but anything else needs a stronger medication.

In your case, with a 'white fluff' and ich, i would go for a dye based medication like Multicure. This should cover all bases.

Trisulfa would also be effective on both illnesses (assuming the fungus isnt true fungus and is only a bactrial growth)

You can use Melafix, but do be prepared to switch, as it really isnt designed for full scale bug warfare wink.gif

Hi Alan

Leave them out of the tank until you have killed the White Spot. When you have completed that, do a big water change and filter the water with carbon, then you will be able to return them.

I don't use plants so I can't advise you about that.

Archived