Neolamprologus mustax

Willy Wombat

Hi guys - does anyone keep Neolamprologus mustax? If so what colour morphs are in Australia? Any other info would also be appreciated - are they aggressive?

Cheers

WW

WW -

N. mustax are available... I dont know what types we have here as they can in a while ago.

The main "morph" in Australia is a yellow/brown fish (like a high bodied leleupi).

I've not kept them but would be keen to share some with you if you find some and want to go 1/2s or something similar smile.gif.

Cheers -

Thanks Dr D.

I was starting to think that people were ignoring me sad.gif

They look like an interesting fish, your description of a high bodied N. lelupi is pretty accurate. I have seen pics of yellow/brown yellow/ and grey on the web.

I do have a source, but no price just yet - i dont imagine they will come cheap. Anyway - i will give you more details as they become available. biggrin.gif

Cheerio

WW

Willy, you have piqued my interest in these fish also (I have this problem whereby when someone questions a fish i haven't heard I feel obliged to snoop into whatever they may be.

I would also be interested in trying my hand at these. As my interest in Tangs, and particularly the little guys is skyrocketting! Thanks to a small breeding group of multifasciatus I was prepared to give up on not long ago. Then I saw what I thought was 1 fry and got very excited. Now I have seen up to 20 fry, in two different territories in a range of about 4 distinctly different sizes... They've been breeding right under my nose and I never even knew. Sneaky little buggers. (That word got OKed right Mark?)

Ok - i will let you know if i can get them, and prices when they become available ducksta. I know the feeling about "fish snooping". Anita was looking for some Otopharynx sp. 'silver torpedos' the other day (which i had never heard about), and now i am thinking to myself - i would also like some of them....

Crazy hobby!

CHeers WW wink.gif

Hi Dave and Willy,

The last time I saw L. mustax was about 3 years ago. They were here in WA but originated from Norm I believe. They looked exactly as you have described Dave. I have no idea whatever happened to them....or if more than one shop got them in.

merjo

they are here because i had 4 about a year ago, ended up with 3 males and a female. Unfortunatley 3 died because of heat temps in the tank and only the female survived and i think that is at my mates place but i am unsure.

cheers

lee

Hay Guys,

As the others have said they are here. The reason why there are not many around compared to leleupi is that they are quite drab. I have kept the so called yellow one, that picture is a good representation of their fins but the body is a dirty grey brown colour. They are also a very agressive fish (more than leleupi). They are OK as an individual in a display tank as something different, but has to have its own tank, or a large one for breeding. There is also a white cheek variety that exists (nice looking fish) but have not seen it in OZ. If you want something uncommon go for it, if you want to make money try something else.

Regards AndrewP

Thanks Lee and Andrew.

Thats a shame to hear that they are so aggressive Andrew ohmy.gif . Im thinking about getting a few to go into my tang tank. Everything with colour from lake Tanganyika seems to be fairly aggressive.

Its all so hard... decisions decisions

PS: Just wanted to add that i have seen plenty of dirty and drab N. leleupi around too... Diet and tank conditions seem to play a big role in colouration on these fish.

i found them not to be overly aggressive, rather they were all quite peacefull although the male did have his distinct territory of a few rocks, but he never was overly aggro towards other fish.

HTH

lee

Please do not fear keeping them, go for it, there is no definite when it comes to fish. Get some and see how you go. They are certainly something not too common. I have seen pictures on the net of them very brightly coloured but its hard to judge if that is the fish or the camera. Its true there are heaps of drab leleupi around too. Dont let fear stop you from anything!! Its at breeding time they get the most agro. Like all Tangs they are not to bad until then. After they have laid is likely to be when you will get a problem.

Regards AndrewP

Archived