Copora nicaraguense

hoges

Hi,

I've just been looking through some cichlid gallery and found a beautiful photo of this fish, with a lovely aqua face.

I have never noticed this fish in aquariums nor heard of it before... does anyone know if we get them in Australia and anything about the fish itself...???

Thanks

Hi Hoges,

They are not an uncommon fish and usually found in most cichlid LFS. Their common name is the parrot and females are the ones with the brighter colour. They are from Central America tongue.gif , very peaceful and breed readily in a tank situation.

There were stacks of fry for sale very cheaply at the American show last weekend tongue.gif

This is a fish that I am definitely going to get one day - they are really lovely. biggrin.gif

Hi Anita & Hoges,

Sorry to be picky but they are Central American cichlids. biggrin.gif

They come from Lake Nicaragua.

They should be easy to find in one of your LFS as they are pretty plentiful down here in Melbourne.

They are great looking when they mature, a bit plain when young but more than make up for it when they get their spawning colours up.

I hope you find some they are quite unique as they lay non adhesive eggs when they spawn, they have been known to bury the eggs to protect them, then unearth them again when danger has passed.

Good Luck

John.

A very nice fish ,the males are easy to pick as they have brown checks in there unpaired fins, and as John has said lay non adhesive eggs usually in a pit they dig in the gravel.They are also one of a very few Americans that can still be imported into Australia,as long as they are over 5cms ,I think .

Some very nice ones came into Australia through Melbourne a couple of years ago.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Kevin

Hi hoges,

They are indeed a lovely fish wub.gif . I have a breeding pair ATM and will endeavour to take some pics. for you....the male is very camera shy.

merjo

okay so the parrot cichlid in question is not the same species as the 'blood parrot' that is used to breed those funny looking fish that often get coloured for photos and other garsley stuff???

Hoges no they are not the same at all. The blood red is said to be a cross between the severum and (how it seems very unrealistic) something along the line of the goldfish. This is not my personal belief but i to was a bit confused with the whole thing.

They are great community tank fish, real peaceful and the girls are great.

Cheers cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hoges -

I have an adult pair - they are lovely fish.

Here's a pic of my male - he is around 10".

user posted image

Ppl at the NSWCS should be able to fix you up with some fry at the next meeting if you call Gus.

Hi Guys -

Red blood parrots are almost certainly red devil hybrids.

Not sure about the severum part though, I have my doubts. I've recently seen some red devil x black belts sub adults... these have an IDENTICAL body shape to the RBP.

I suspect that in reality all these fish are is an Amphilophus spp (almost certainly citrinellum or labiatum) x with a Vieja species...

Real parrot cichlids ie: Copora nicaraguense is a MUCH nicer fish smile.gif.

Archived