attaching filter sponge to intake

grungefreek

Hey Guys,

My tank is very small and thus my HOB filter intake is to long with the extension with the strainer on it. So i have to have the full open end tube in the tank, so my little fishy's will be sucked into the filter. So what i have done is put a small piece of filter sponge over the intake, attached with fishing line. What i was wanting to know was if i could use a rubber band instaed of the fishing line so when it comes to cleaning, it will be easier to do.

thanx

I agree with the others...cut a piece of sponge to put over the intake. However if you still want to go with your original idea, try a cable tie. As Sarah has said, a rubber band will be short lived.

merjo

I read this somewhere... DIY Intake filter sponge:

* Get some suitable sponge/foam. (eg: Clark Rubber, Bunnings, Spot Light etc)

* To make a custom fit hole to fit your intake tube, freeze your sponge is a ice cream container filled with water.

* Once it is frozen, drill your hole with a drill bit 1-3 sizes smaller than the diameter of you intake tube.

[Insert obligatory Warning: Do not use Power tools around water! Use a manual Hand drill (A cordless drill might be OK as these are low voltage/amperage 12-18V - but seek advice first - as I don't know)]

* A smaller hole means that the sponge will have a tight fit over the tube - and will not need securing with fishingline.

* Do not drill all the way through the sponge you want to drill only about 3/4 of the way through so the bottom seals the opening.

* If you want to reshape your sponge (ie add grooves etc), refreeze the sponge and cut with a suitable non electric saw.

When the sponge thaws... give it a wash and you are done!

(you can thaw it faster if you run hot water over it)

Marko

rubber bands are cheap.

I use tulle and rubber band it over the strainer, i cant see why you couldnt use that method without the strainer.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gutty

Go to you local hardware etc and get a suitable sized O-ring. They don't stretch as much as a rubber band but if you get the right size you should be OK, just kind of roll it on to the sponge/intake.........and it won't degrade in water.

* Get some suitable sponge/foam. (eg: Clark Rubber, Bunnings, Spot Light etc)

Be careful what sponge you use. Some of it can be toxic to fish. Clark rubber do have one suitable for aquariums.

Archived