Filter media ID required

YeW

Hi Guys -

Anyone know what this is? I realise it must be used in industries other than aquariums. If anyone could identify a non-aquarium source that would be great!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Ideas?

Hi YeW,

It is called "Koi matting" and is used as a spawning media for breeding koi. Whether it is used outside the industry under another name I have no idea.

HTH.

merjo

BTW it is extremely expensive at prices around 5c per square cm...yes cm....for retail ohmy.gif .

hi dave

i don't know much more than merg, but i'm sure if you let you're fingers do the walking you should do ok at some wholesalers; although it is used to make aircon; filters

hi merg ah!! hang the exspence-- see what he uses as a size comparison

cheers; colfish

I've always known it as Bio-mat

I've tried to find it outside the aquarium industry, without much luck.

They don't use it in the aviation industry laugh.gif

You might find this stuff at those odds and ends recycling shops - you know those shops were all these art and craft doodads end up and you can buy in bulk and cheap. Some of those TV shows - Backyard Blits etc - goto them to build funky art works and water features.

BTW: It is made from recycled PET soft drink bottles.

You can also use it insead of Bio-Balls or a pre bio-ball filter.

It is probably best described as spun plastic matting.

Thanks guys & gals!

Anyone who wants to grab a pic and flash it about their friends (who work with air con for example wub.gif) is most welcome to do so.

that stuff is a great media. i use it in my aquaclears only the matt, with the intake covered by a sponge. Really easy to wash and suppose to have better surface area than bio balls. I have only seen it in the aquarium industry and it was expensive, i think i paid about $120 or so for a square metre. So very expensive, im sure it would be used for smething else and can be purchased for a cheaper price. So if anyone finds out what it is really used for please let us all know!

Ron

Well I rang around half a dozen air con companies yesterday and only one knew what I was talking about but even they don't use it.

So air con doesn't seem to be the industry to get it from.

I think you will find the one thay use for air conditioners has an antibacterial agent in it. That would make it no good for aquaraium use. I can get 1mx2m sheets made in Japan for about $170.

It has been my long understanding that it is call, and you'll probably have to excuse the spelling "Kamaharda-bio mat". It is my belief that it is a biological filter media. It is also excellent as a coarse mechanical filter (before filter wool). It is, as has been mentioned, stupidly expensive, and melts/shrinks if boiling water is poured onto it (in an effort to get rid of snails/eggs).

Craig

i guess if it is made exclusively for the aquarium trade we will have to contine paying such a high price. It is a good media though, lucky i still have quite alot, as in i can fill a few more aquaclears. Hope i dont have to buy anymore anytime soon. Well i still hold a little hope that it is used cheaply in another industry of some sort.

Ron

Guest Gutty

I seem to recall my old man using somthing very similar to this stuff on his boat. Maybe as a jelcoat scourer ?? But that was years ago........ blush.gif

Archived