What size ?

Guest Panga

Guest Panga

I was wondering what size everyone likes to sell there fry ?

I have bought many fry @ 1cm - 2cm and never had a problem with causalties but have heard others say they are too small and they wont survive.

cheers Troy biggrin.gif

i think it depends on the fish for instance an N. ocelatus doesnt get very big so 1.5cm is not all that bad, however i think fry should be a reasonable size 3cm+ i personally wouldnt buy fry at 1-2 cm mortality rate is a little greater ,so i find and you cant really see what you are getting but thats just my opinion.

Troy it really depends on the fish as sarah says.

I usually like to sell mine at 3cm or above as i know how they are forming. But i have sold fry at 1cm but that was only because the buyer really wanted them at that size. Obviously it is better for you to sell them asap as you don't need to grow them up but i still reckon you should sell them at a reasonable size.

Regards,

Ben thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Guest Panga

Sarah & Ben

Thanks heaps for your input. Its muchly appreciated biggrin.gif

I thought it would be a good topic to start as i have never seen a post asking this question biggrin.gif

Cheers Troy

Hi Troy,

I think Maz has outlined what you have all said and I agree with you all.

However, in my experience the longer you hold onto them the happier the bigger they get and the happier your customer. However, I keep running out of room to do this so with any luck I will be able to start building my new fish room soon and that will solve that problem. oops.gif I am building a house around it too....Keep forgetting that bit...laugh.gif

Hi Guys

I'm up on the Gold Coast and buy and sell my fish here & in Brisbane. I've often noticed fish being sold on the Sydney forum at quite small sizes and been bemused by this, as it just doesn't seem to happen up here. I breed mainly malawis & americans, apart from some frontosa, and never sell fish at less than 4-5cm, more often at 5-6cm. 4-5cm seems to be the norm up here.

Cheers, Doug

Hi Troy smile.gif

Troy it really depends on the fish as sarah says.

I usually like to sell mine at 3cm or above as i know how they are forming. But i have sold fry at 1cm but that was only because the buyer really wanted them at that size. Obviously it is better for you to sell them asap as you don't need to grow them up but i still reckon you should sell them at a reasonable size

Thanx Ben , saved me typing it wink.gif ..

Andy...

Guest Panga

Thx Mazimbwe & Adrian09 that gives me and everyone else a fair idea biggrin.gif .

I will be able to start building my new fish room soon and that will solve that problem.  I am building a house around it too....Keep forgetting that bit...

ROFL I like the way you say your building a fish room and a house round it. laugh.giflaugh.gif Thx for your input to Ben biggrin.gif

Thx DFishkeeper & lungy for your inputs too. its great to hear what others think. biggrin.gif

Cheers Troy

Guest Gutty

Sell fry ?? How's that done ?? I have no problems making the fry but offloading them down here is a pain in the butt. sadsmiley02.gif

I now only breed one peacock.........and those fry usually end up in my Jags mouth.... laugh.gif

When i lived in Sydney and sold(Hap/Peacock) fry it was usually around the 3-4cm mark.

Archived