My Red Devil "Dev" (got pics now)

Teamsherman

<-----------This isnt the pic i am talking about.

I have a photo album at yahoo but the forum wont let me use the url (right click on photo and click on properties and copy/paste that into the forum) if there is another way can someone tell me and i will put up the photo.

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

G'day Alan, well the pic is a bit small to really judge but it is possibly a male. I have found that these days Midas Cichlids are becoming very difficult to sex.

The imports that have come into the hobby have changed the fish from the original devils we had way back in the 70's. unsure.gif

Female devils today are developing long fin extensions and the males seem to have lost the massive pronounced humps of the original fish. mad.gif

The surest way is to have a look at the breeding tube if it is very pointed it will be a male if blunt it is a female.

Good Luck with them they are a great fish & I think possibly the most intelligent cichlid, they really identify with their owners.

Cichlid POWER!

Peter.

my rd all of 3 yrs (i was led to beleive by the lfs i got it from) was male then 2 or 3 weeks ago it laid a clutch of eggs there were heaps poor lil girl doesnt have a mate though so it all went badmy bristle nose loved them though she has a small hump and elongated fins so id say the only way to be sure is venting(looking at the sex organs) just like peter said

good luck

Definately not a good idea to gauge sex on finnage. (Although when dealing with immature fish it can be a fairly accurate indicator) A large nuchal hump is generally a good guide, but to get the male to hump up, he generally has to have a female companion, or a male competitor.

As an example, this is the rear of a definate female N. salvini

user posted image

Hi Alan,

It looks like a girl at first glance, as the hump is not very well developed, and the fins haven't developed very long filaments, but then how old/big is the fish?

You'll need to vent it to be absolutely sure.

Nice looking devil! wink.gif

Cheers,

Andrew.

Cool, Alan. It's probably a girl if it's 23cm with such a small hump. Better get her vented to be sure though.

smile.gif

Andrew.

Anita, i got the devil in april last year and it was about 1 and a half inches when i got it, so yeah, im not real sure how old it is either, but im sure it is over a year old. I just want to know for sure what sex it is so i can get one of the oppisite sex, to see if she will agree to it or not.

Yeah ive sussed that all out, i tried it before but the two just didnt get along so i had to get rid of the male, but i am going to try again soon. But this time if they dont get along, im just gonna buy another tank for the male. (yeah yeah, i know, just another excuse to get another tank) laugh.gif but i love the devils.

Actually, Alan, the best thing for you to do would be to put a divider between boy and girl. Many species of medium to large centrals/souths do not get on outside of breeding time. Ma and Pa will see each other through the divider and get all randy. Remove the divider only when eggs are laidand they'll get along swimmingly! laugh.gif They'll then both care for eggs/young and when fry are developed and free-swimming, you can separate the parents again for next time. If you use plastic grid divider (such as can be bought at St George Aquariums) and put the spawning rock near it, the male can also fertilise the eggs through the divider, so if you're out when the eggs are laid, they won't go to waste.

Give it a try and see how you go. Any male devil should do...

Cheers,

Andrew.

I will do that this thursday Andrew, cause i have seen a really nice one that i have got on hold till payday comes around. I have some dividers that i used last time, but i didnt know that you have to keep them seperated unless they are breeding.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

You may find that they eventually get used to each other, but it is common that pairs will harbour mutual distaste when they first meet. See how you go - some pairs I've seen live together well, others don't. Fingers crossed for you!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Archived