Male Aulonocara's

GreekStylez

Hi All biggrin.gif ,

Just wondering whether an all male Aulonocara tank is a good idea? sadsmiley02.gif

It is obviouslt for a display tank with rocks and hiding spots. Would there be a peaceful to semi-peaceful environment with limited hastles, or am I asking for trouble? blink.gif

Would they maintain their colour? blush.gif

Kepp in mind this will be an ALL Aulonocara tank. There only tank mates are a gibbi a pleco and two clown loaches

Cheers cool.gif

They will retain their colour, but will not show the vivid colours of a male displaying to a female.

It's a pretty peaceful tank usually and you can have quite a few fish in there as they don't need territories as such. However one male will usually become dominant and keep the rest in check.

G'Day GreekStylez,

I've kept a basically all male Aulonocara tank for the past 15 months or so. The aggression factor is pretty much fine, apart from a few minor sqabbles they get along fine. In my situation not all of the males have coloured up. As is the case with any colony of fish there are individuals that are dominant. In my case about three Peacock's show beautiful colour and have increased dramatically in size whereas the subdominant fish have basically stayed in their juvenile form (small size, no colour, although they do have egg spots). What you could maybe do is buy a group and wean out subdominant fish. Remember this is just the behaviours I have had. An all male tank does work but as mentioned the drawback is that you don't get the enjoyment of watching natural male-female shenanigans.

Best of luck mate, they are beautiful fish,

Jamie.

Guest Gutty

I keep an all male peacock/hap tank. Whats already been said is just about spot on IMO.

They will all colour up eventually.......just not quite as bright(no breeding dress). And it will be a very peacful tank.

Archived