Sexing Cuckoos

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of getting some Cuckoo's soon.

How large/old do they have to be before they can be sexed?

Cheers

Richard

Its best to wait until they have learnt to fly. Female cuckoos have longer tail feathers and are usually lighter then thier male counterparts....

To be general you could define the species you wish to be able to sex like

Synodontis..

To be even less general you could say Synodontis multipunctatus or Syn. multipunctatus.

To answer your question in specific relevence to Synodontis multipunctatus maleshave a pointed apperatus which can easily be visable when mature (1.5/2 years). Female dont and/or have a less rounded apperatus. Venting the fish when over 12-15cm is fairly easy.

A myth exists to which I have no faith in, which is in immature specimens males are darker and have larger spots while the females are lighter and have smaller spots.

This is half true as mature females tend to have smaller spots on the underside flank then the males (which generally speaking have the same size all over) but in small specimens they both look fairly similar.

I have seen no mannerisms in behaviour that would define male and female at a younger age.

HTH

l have two groups one breeding (about 3yrs old) and a new group

about 14 months old the new group are sexable but not producing just yet

sexing is easy once you have been shown.

If you are interested l have young for sale and my friend has

breeding group of 11 that are 18months old that he is selling if you want let me know

ph 9465 0880

Thanks for the replies folks,

saudukar, now obviously I would be talking about Synodontis multipunctatus being on a Cichlid forum! blink.gif

I'm not ready yet Boots n all but I've kept your details handy so that when I am I will contact you.

Cheers

Richard

Archived