Frozen meaty food for Red Devils

Teamsherman

Hi,

I have 3 red devils ranging in size and as a staple diet i feed them Hikari gold cichlid pellets (medium size) and the occasional earth worm as a treat. I have

tried them on the frozen cichlid food brand "fish dinner" but they just turn their

noses up at it.

Can anyone suggest a frozen meaty style food that the fish will take? i would like to see them eat something more natural than just pellets all the time.

Cheers, Alan. cool.gif

I have a silly question about the beef heart, can i buy this from a butcher and slice it up for the fish then freeze and use when needed? or does it have to be bought from a LFS?

Cheers again, Alan.

Not a silly question, i know a few people who have chosen to do it sort of DIY style but youll need gelatine to make it stick together and if you going to do that much there heaps of stuff like peas and carrots you could chuck in aswell wink.gif but if you just want it to be easy and convient id say pay the extra 3-4bucks and get it from the LFS, i do. HTH Cheers Andy

I don't like to use terrestrial food for my fish.

Only because I can't see fish getting access to too many cows in their natural environment.

I rather use white bait, prawns and the like.

Obviously there are plenty of people that do without any problems.

If you have to use the heart from the butcher make sure you cut all the fat out..

BUT

I'm with Cichlids_au on useing terrestrial food, although beef heart is a good seller, its not really that good for the fish.. The fish get a slow build up of fat around the liver which can eventually lead to liver failure..

Same goes for turtles as well..

I also don't like using cows to feed fish. I have been experimenting with a few different frozen food for my small frontosas. I have used prawns and large sardines.

I have also used fish mince bought from the local fish monger. I think people use it in fish cakes. It is a pinky colour and allready all minced up. I put it in a plastic bag and flatten it out nice and thin on a plate then put it in the freezer. Once frozen I get a vege peeler to shave off bits into a tub or you can cut it up to the desired size with a sharp knife. I don't use gelatine or anything.

Lately I have been feeding them Marinara mix from the fresh fish shop. It has bits of fish, crab, prawn, mussel, etc in it. I bought a vege chopper and cut it up into small bits. The frontosas like it but have a bit of trouble with bits of calamari and octopus. They eat all of it eventually. All of the above are not really very expensive as you don't need very much. A couple of bucks woth should last a few months.

regards, Jdhogg

Archived