Ehime “O” Rings

CThompson

I have Ehimes 2228 and 2328 (the big square models), and for those of you that are familiar with these filters, you will be aware that they have non-standard "o" shaped “O” rings.

I have had difficulty with keeping the filters sealed with these “O” rings in the past. I have used vasaline to improve the seal, but only succeeded once I replace the “O” ring with new ones. These “0” rings were REALLY expensive to replace (after all they are only little bits of rubber), and if memory serves me correctly they were in the range of $25.00 each.

1) I am wondering if my experiences with these “O” rings are exclusive to me?

2) And if others out there with these two filter models have exchanged these fancy “O” rings with standard “O” rings? If so, how did you go?

Craig

Guest Gutty

Hi Craig, does the o-ring have an odd section or just and odd shape when laid flat ? If it is the cross section thats odd then i'd say you have to stick to the genuine product, or find something aftermarket thats very similar, if it is the general shape of the oring when laid flat on a table etc(goes around corners etc) that is odd you should be able to use any old o-ring you want just as long as it hass the same cross section.

I use o-rings alot here at work and have a reasonable supply. If you'd like to drop in one day i'd happpily give you some to have a play with if i have any that are big enough.(pm me for an address....at Kirrawee)

Apart from that you could go down to Taren Point to either Coastal Hydraulics(Corner of Box rd and Parraweena) or CBC Bearings(Box or Bay rd) and either should be able to sort you out with just about any o-ring you want for just a dollar or 2.

Lata

Matt

BTW, i've never owned an Eheim, but am an Engineer(of a type) that uses o-rings quite alot.

Gutty,

Thanks for your reply. The cross section of the O ring is odd. I also work in an area were I will have access to some O rings, and intend to get one or two just to check out wether or not they will hold a seal or not.

I spoke to someone at work with whom has extensive experience with O rings (connected with accelerators), and I drew for him a cross section of what the O ring looks like. He informs me that he thinks the O ring design itself may have a weakness.

I know Ehime has a great name, I agree it is well deserved, but I wonder if these “special” O rings have been designed to make people believe they have to have the Ehime O rings, as an on-selling point for Ehime?

Craig

I reckon there is 99.9999 (recurring)% chance that the O-rings were designed solely to ensure Ehiem is the only supplier. They would contract it out to a rubber company and pay about 5c a piece, and onsell them for whatever the hell they like as it would not be worthwhile for a company to set the machinery up to sell Ehiem rip-off (Ehiem compatible tongue.gif ) o-rings.

Archived