adding Tropheus to existing groups

trofius

i all I have a few stray tropheus and was going to add some more to get them to colony status, althopugh i have heard that this can be as bad as only having the few. blush.gif

currently I have the one dubosi about 11cm and wanted to get atleast another 15.

The Kachese I have are from 5-8cm currently have 4, want atleast 6more does anyone have any suggestions..

Also to save on the Aggression factor i have thought of adding the Kachese to my colony of 12 Kiriza..but am a bit uncertain the Kiriza are all 3-5cm

maybe the duboisi would be best suited to a display tank, with other crankys, have had him for years.. was with the leleupi, pulchers, afras, and a few leptos for a while with no dramas. biggrin.gif

Any help is appreciated

I don’t consider myself well enough versed to answer all your T questions. However, on the subject of adding T to existing ones, I have had positive experience....

Make sure the tank you intend to put the entire group in is big enough to cope with the number of fish, and their adult size. When you add the new fish, don’t worry too much about size difference, other than make sure there is one. If the new fish are greatly smaller than the existing ones, they will not stand and fight, but run from trouble (trouble = something larger). Indeed, if the size difference is great enough, the larger fish may not even lower itself to “look” at the smaller fish. As time goes by, the smaller fish will grow, and you’ll probably have a seamless transition to a new hierarchy encompassing the new additions. I did/do.

About the best advice I can give you, is give Steve’s Tropheus web site a look. If you don’t know where it is, I’m sure someone can add a link for you, but the SCP will have a link to it, so look in the section where there is a list of links. His page will give you all the information you will need.

Craig

Thanks craig

tanks and hidy holes is not a prob, smallest tank for them is 6x18x18 up to 6x2x2 and 8x2x2, have seen steves sites many times , just really after personal experiences , So thanks again

The best way to do what you wont is to add the fish to a new tank all at the same time. As for mixing morphs i dont believe in this. The more you get the better some where between 15 and 25 is a good number. When thay are big enough about 8-10cm vent sex them and leave two males and the rest females. I hope this helps.

Thanks Nigel

I didnt want to mix them, but it was a last option, I just wanted to add more to the ones i already have.

just out of interest if you can you get any Kachese and Maswas what sort of price would they be. I cant find them any anywere for less then 65 each for Kachese. And thats wholesale from melbourne, Bay no longer has them on there list.

Thanks anyway.

You are a little bit out of luck i had 30 Kachese a few months ago. When i do an order for lake tang fish i will see if thay have any. The only problem might be that from now on most of the tropheus will be wild caught but i can buy them from 5-8cm.

Archived