Tankmates for a Convict?

mermaid

My poor little convict is lonely. I placed my Betta's tank next to its tank and it brightened up right away. It's swimming around its tank and all, exploring things - instead of staying in its cave. I was wondering if they'd be okay to share a tank? It is a female betta and she is very old.

If not, what would be a better tank mate for my convict? I don't want something too big as they will probably be sharing a 1 or 2ft tank together.

Hi Mermaid,

why not try another little convict of the opposite sex? Im sure they will have fun hangin' out and stuff. hug.gifwub.gif

Or if you dont want them to breed due to having to get rid of fry, i think a rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa) could be a nice tankmate. They are the same size when mature, and the rainbow is a peaceful fish, and from what i believe, convicts are too when by themselves. (i have convicts, but they are both breeding pairs so im not too sure on what they are like by themselves with other species).

Anyways, some food for thought.

Some one tell me if im wrong in what i have said. whistling.gif

Cheers, Alan. whistling.gif

Yeah I guess.. I'm just worried about babies. Heh.

See when I got my pair of kribs and my convict, it was okay if they bred because a friend of mine has an oscar who I could give them too if I couldnt sell them. But now I don't see that friend anymore so I don't have anyone who will take them if I can't sell them.

Also.. now that my pair of kribs have bred I couldnt stand seeing the babies get eaten! It'd be the same with my convicts if they had babies.. sure maybe 3 or 4 lots of fry later I'd be fine with it but not the first 1 or 2 lots.. it just seems cruel! heh :\

I've got a couple of jewels in with a convict, a severum and some cats.

Althougth the tank is bigger they all get on pretty well.

Maybe you could go with a couple of jewels??? They're pretty fish and from my experience not too agressive

Oh or you could try some clown loaches smile.gif they're a personal fav wub.gifwub.gif

Try putting a neetroplus in with your convict. THey have very similar temperaments

when single fish. I wouldnt put a mate of opposite sex in unless you want heaps of fry and for the convicts to take over the tank! (same thing with neets).

Good luck

Nick

good news! saying goodbye to the 2ft tank idea, as I'm finally allowed a 4ft tank!

I was thinking for this tank:

- my female convict

- 2 jewel cichlids

- 6-10 tiger barbs (they're only 60c!)

I want something else in there too.. as it is a display tank going in the main room of the house. It won't be against a wall at all, so there will be lots plants/caves/hiding places on all sides of the tank for the fish which I think will help with territories.

I'd REALLY like something colourful.. maybe something yellow or something blue like a blue johanni but I'm not sure about compatibility?? Any suggestions??

I heard firemouths will go okay in there, but I'm not sure.. they look rather dull in colour.

Electric yellows or hongis, will they go in there?

Oh and one last question, what about 3-4 female kribs? If not, that's okay, I have a tank for the kribs. ^_^

and frontosa are expensive lol

The convict was only $4, the tiger barbs are $0.60c each, and the jewels are about $12-$14 each (from petshops - not sure about breeders, I'll check out the classifieds)

The E Yellows and Johanni have diferent water requirements to your convict.

The convict is the main problem here because they are aggressive. Without the convict you would have so much more choice and be able to get lots of colorful little fish.

In my 4ft tank I have 8 serpaes, 2 clown loaches, 5 bolivians, 1 multispinosa, a green terror, (temporarily), 2 gold suckes, and a couple of pther little tetras.

The tank is lively and very colorful.

If you have to keep your convict then you rally have to choose care fully which cichlids will go with her.

G'Day Mermaid

Im sorry but

- my female convict

- 2 jewel cichlids

- 6-10 tiger barbs (they're only 60c!)

To me its a wasted tank. Straight away i would be hunting down a male convict. They have real personality. I like tiger barbs but you can get cheaper feeder fish,, the jewels and connies would slaughter them.

You want something like an E yellow yeah, why not not with the pastel yellow of a gold sev.

Blue go with a blue acara or GT.

The main thing is if you keep a tank of americans you have to have it crowded so that there are no territories. And if you do this i would make sure that i didnt ave a pair cause that will also cause aggression in the tank.

And these guys will all hold there own.

Cheers

While I agree with most of what has been said Re: Convicts and Africans, has anybody actually had a look at the makeup of the water in the crater lakes ohmy.gif It is alot more similar to the rift lakes than most people realise IMO (from a non-chemist point of view, going on what information I am presented with)

ps. My convict cruises around a tank with shellgrit/gravel as substrate with breeding Malawians and has no drama's!

In fact, apart from an injury he recieved as a youngster in a lip-lock with a larger green terror (ps. I think mixing CA with SA is FAR worse than CA with African water-wise) I reckon he is one of the best looking big male convicts I have seen. If it weren't for the deformed jaw, he could even be a contender for best in show sometime laugh.gif

Most definately Ducksta i agree! Magickfishes breeding pair of connies are living in a 3fter with substrate that was made up for my RTBB. They are spawning fine the fry are ok. However they are very sulky cause i just took their bubs away to grow them out.

Cheers cool.gif

Archived