S. leucosticta

AMK

One of mine used to do exactly the same thing - although the colour would come and go - I called him "Braveheart" smile.gif

He never seemed stressed, water conditions were always good and he was like that (on and off) for at least 18 months before I got rid of my colony to make room for some different fish. Hope that helps.

From what I understand it is caused when the colour-controlling nerve is pinched by a tumour (usually thyroid). Although the fish will appear to be unaffected, this tumour causes stunted/slowed growth and eventual death sadsmiley02.gif . Afflicted fish can live for several months with this condition. It is not contagious, however some malignancies are genetic.

merjo

As Merjo has said its likely related to a tumor of the thyroid, some get a growth at the base of the pectoral fins, others get the black affect when nerves are pinched..

Some can live with this ailment for years and some dont unfortunately..

Bummer sad.gif As I said I had him for 18 months after he started getting the half black face - he never seemed concerned by it at all and grew at the same rate as all the others in the tank (about 12 of them) - hopefully yours has a long and happy life. (fingers crossed)

• 3 weeks later...

Im back! Not sure if you remember me from before, but yeah Im back to normal now. biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

My mask just started fading away over a couple of days until it was all gone as you can see above.

Archived