Breeding Multis

elise007

Currently breeding multis, or trying to, and the rate for fry is almost back to zero and all i am getting is host fish.

Would like to breed with a host fish that i can actually sell the fry from if no multi babies. Therefore what are peoples suggestions of somethign that will breed with the multis and also produce their own offspring that is saleable.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

We're currently trying cobwe with ours and haven't had too much luck so far, with only a few multies produced in 3 months.

Next on the list will be Msuli point or Tanzanian acei, seeing as they have large mouthfuls and the eggs are nearly as small as multi eggs so thet multi fry should be able to eat them earlier.

I think I'm just going to keep moving them around my tanks and see what happens. I'm not going to buy specific fish for them, but will add them to my current tanks and see what I get.

Andy,

That is an interesting idea, i have just set up 6 different tanks of Mbuna and was actually thinking about trying that so that the fish dont get too smart and stop breeding.

Also that frees up my 48*18*18 to put another colony in, prhaps the featherfins i really want.

Hmm, wonder how it would work.

Some are still to small to breed but others are of the right size. Might look at giving that a try.

Mark

Hi Elsie,

Have to second Andies coment on small egg size of host If you want to get them out at a larger hardier size.Got a pb of 23 out of a polystigma the other day I thought polys would be too agro but it's working well .Very cool fish to breed (by nerdy fish breeding standards) Great milking a lot of fat catties out of a cichlid interesting watching them spawn to

Regards Chris

It sounds like its time to get rid of the host or the synos and replace them with some fresh ones, we currently pull 8 to12 every week and never have enough eggs to go round, so even if a host fish does not have syno fry(which is rare) the eggs are needed.

If you find that acertain female never has syno fry then get rid of her, she is too smart. laugh.gif

Hehehehe, no l did not beat you to Joes, l well, got them for some one else,

although l have 13 that are joes off spring that are now10 to 12cm, ready to start breeding soon l hope.

My current breeders came from an old friend who had not much luck with them, we are using the good old caliptra(spelling?) as a host, maybe you need to raise a new group of synos, l could let you have some @$18 @4cm if you like LOL, we did try Kadangos for a while but changed back for the better results, good luck!

Archived