Amazon Swords

grungefreek

Hey Guys,

I planted my little 17L tank a week ago which within it contained some amazon Swords. The leaves of the swords seem to be going yellow, some with brown spots, pretty much thy seem to be dieing. My tank params are as follows

17L

Strait gravel (3 inches + thick)

root tabs in soil around the swords

22W of CF lighting, No reflector (do ya think it needs a reflector?)

No Co2 injection yet, might add a homemade job soon, or use flourish excel.

Yeah so advice on getting these to grow would be good.

Also within the tank is, wisteria, blue stricta and ambulia. Advice on getting these to root properly and grow as well as trimming advice would also be good (specially on the swords, how do ya trim them?)

Ok well thanx for any assistance guys

Hey, the root tabs are called Aqua master Aquatic plant root fertiliser tablets. they contain 0.11% soluble iron. These were the only root tabs the fish shop had, so had to deal with them.

Do u think that light is sufficient as well? Or do ya think i should line the canopy with some mylar or foil?

MAybe they will come good in a few weeks, maybe they are just ahving an initial die off?

alot of swords sold at shops are emmersed grown, meaning yes the old leaves will die off and new ones will come in that could also be what is happening to your plant.

I would recommend you get some clay balls for the roots of your sword, although root tabs should suffice for now..

I used foil for my old 2fter, but apparently its the worst reflector (reflects in every direction but down), mylar is a top choice alternative, and a poor man's (mine LOL.gif) is white paint tongue.gif

Hmm do ya think i really nbeed to add something to reflect more light down? 17 litres is approximately 4 gallons. So 22 watts over 4 gallons works out to be 5.5 watts/gallon, so without reflector probably 3 WPG. So if i add the reflection i thought i might run into Algae problems.

Oh well any thoughts on the matter.

Two things to consider.....firstly most aquarium plants are grown hydroponically therefore they have an adjustment period when first emersed. Secondly, swords and other similar plants do not like having their crowns buried, and will rot from that point.

HTH

merjo

Swords do like CO2, and also like N via the roots. If your substrate is deep enough, cut a piece (about 1cm) off the Fern Spikes, and plant that at least 2" under the gravel under the sword. Not so good if you fish dig... sadsmiley02.gif

Archived