what happens when the light go out

calvas klein

Hi all i was wondering how stessful the change from full light to total darkness is.

I have set up a small fish room (x outside toilet) with just one rack of three 3footers and have slowly intoduced fish in them, the first one was a single male from a group he was the sub male and i put him out on his own but on the second day found him on thre floor, he had jumped out after the lights went out and was dry and stiff the next morning, then i put a colony of O auromarginatus out there and two days later i find the male on the floor, dry stiff and very dead are they being spooked when the lights go out, i have ac300's on the front of the tanks which is the gap they go out of, and they seem fine when i walk in not skittish at all hope some one could shed some light on this (bad pun) and sorry to be long winded with it.

Thanks in advance

Brian huh.gif

You can shove a bit of filter wool into the gap to stop them jumping out sadsmiley02.gif and then I would put in one of those very low wattage lights used for kids rooms and leave it on all the time . I use one in the fish house and it helps stopping the room going totally black when the main lights are turned off wink.gif

Guest Gutty

I had a fish jump out last night about 1 second after i turned the lights off...........he was being chased by my Dimi comp though so i don't really blame him....... blush.gif

Some fish just like to jump; I've seen SAEs jump out of the tank in broad daylight when I've had the lid off for one reason or another. Some can find the smallest darn hole to jump out.

A tight lid is certainly a must.

Guest Gutty

Was out last night, i got home after the auto timer had turned the lights off. Well sure enough, when i walked in the front door i find a kandango red fin dead on the floor in front of the tank.

The only hole he could have got through is only about 16x16mm which diagonally is actually a bit smaller than the fishes height...........damn it !!!

Though with a nice hole ripped in his gut area i can again understand why he jumped......... sadsmiley02.gif

Anyone want a Dimi comp ??

Archived