Trendy Geophagines

YeW

Hi Guys -

The trendyness of earth eaters is great smile.gif - and I am very happy to see it. I'm a little saddened though that no one is talking up Geophagus brasiliensis.

When mature this is certainly one of the most spectacular (and unique) fish in the genus - and yet no one seems interested.

Sure they are cheap - but in my opinion this is an added bonus!

There was much interest today in the the thread finned acara (A. heckelli) on display at the American cichlid show and while it was indeed a lovely fish - no one took much notice of the brasiliensis in a neighbouring tank. In 1997 when I worked at a large aquarium in Sydney we were selling A. heckelli for $3.95 ea smile.gif - no one was interested in them either wink.gif and look what happened to them dry.gif .

If you are a american earth eater enthusiast then I beseech you - dont be a snob. You'll (and we'll) pay the price later when the fish disappears from the Australian hobby sad.gif.

I agree with you 100%. I have just purchased a large pair of Brasilliensis and they are awesome. Sure I love my other earteaters but these guys are beautiful as well. They are showing signs of breeding so will see what happens. Cheers Kevin

I am considering taking on some of these in a bit of a breeding project. But don't currently have room to house them.

No money to be made, but it would be nice if the fish I am seeing around today looked half as good as the ones I was breeding 6-8 years ago. And I was getting about 50 cents a pop for retailable sized fry ohmy.gif Damn they were ripping me off. And I thought I was a rich young fella laugh.gif

Apparently they taste a little like Bream. We had an exchange student once who found it very very funny they we kept and bred these fish for a hobby and put them in display tanks, when they were a fish that she regularily ate tongue.gif

Personally I think they are fabulous fish, my partner and I have bred this fish for many years, until recently when our male passed away, we hope to replace him soon and start breeding again.

Tho like Ducksta said, the quality of this fish has declined in the past 6 or so years and we now struggle to find a male of a quality breeding line to match our beautiful female.

I absolutely agree YEW.

Brasiliensis have all of the appealling characteristics of other eartheaters but

are also very hardy and able to be kept with tankmates that most other geophagus

would have a problem with.

Also hard to find a better looking fish than a mature male brasiliensis.

Nick

Archived