Frontosa Three Some ...

lungy

MMMM, Well it seems my Male fronnies (2 of ) Must get there peice of the action when the lady's are Ready for lov'n hug.gif ... whistling.gif ... This sharing arrangement

is most admire-able tongue.gif .... Though i have noticed a small percentage of fry

have some shocking barring ohmy.gif ...

My question is this !!!

Could this be from a mixed genetical conception ????

And how long is the egg vunerable for , before it is sealed from the protrusion of

further semen ( not the diving kind either rolleyes.gif ) ...

Andy ....

Eat those big words Coleman tongue.gif

No lungy, only one sperm fertilises an egg. In mammals, it's instantaneous - as soon as a sperm penetrates, the composition of the covering of the egg changes and no further sperm can get in. I would think it would be the same in fish and other animals. It's also the same in plants from memory - once a pollen gets into the egg/seed, no more can follow. That way you get the right number of chromosomes.

Lungy -

To translate, no.

Fiona -

In plants you have double fertilisation (in most Angiosperms anyway).

so you get two pollen grains - one unites with the "egg" and the other with a diploid cell near the egg. This diploid cell after fertilisation is triploid (ie: 3n) and develops into the endosperm smile.gif.

Fiona rolleyes.gif

In plants you have double fertilisation (in most Angiosperms anyway).

so you get two pollen grains - one unites with the "egg" and the other with a diploid cell near the egg. This diploid cell after fertilisation is triploid (ie: 3n) and develops into the endosperm , i hope that helps honey wub.gif ...

Andy... LOL.gif

Ps. Welcome back Dave smile.gif

Hm, that's interesting. I don't think we got into where the endosperm came from in high school biology. So the pollen material joining with the diploid cell triggers the endosperm to form, right? Which would coincide with the fertilisation and subsequent development of the plant embryo. Yeah? Neat mechanism.

Archived