Mixing tropheus

of1o

Hi i am getting a new tank and will be setting up a tropheus tank, with thought in mind about having two species for display, i will be looking at tropheus kachese and tropheus bemba.

the tank will be pretty much the same size as my other one exept not as tall, its a 5x2.

in having these two species will i be able to add anything else , because it is a display tank, maybe some cyps and julis.

What some of your thoughts on having the two species in this tank

thanks

2 varients can work in that size tank... moorii / sp. black but u will find one colony being more dominant than the other and resulting in poor coloration and breeding.

I prefer large colony single species tanks smile.gif

Jim...

I thought it was ok to mix some, reds and blacks or duboisi , but not say reds and reds or blacks and blacks, apparently dubosi can go with any of them, i think that Nigel may mean mix something more different like annectans, and morii, or brichardi.

You mention you would like others in a 5x2x2 as well, that would make a full tank, full of activety, but with say 15 Kachese, 15 Bemba, 10+ leptos, and maybe 4 julies woiuld look nice , but would need heaps of filtration..

On the subject of the Kachese were did or do you get them only place i know is through the lfs from Aquarium enterprises, and they are $60each wholesale! i need a few more for the ones I have...

Good luck

hey, is the colour loss drastic, and is it always the situation, or can thy sometimes lose no colour,

i study in malaysia so easy to get wild caught fish and f1. although i am from perth.

thanks

I prefer large colony single species tanks  smile.gif

I have both...a tank with just Tropheus and another with Tropheus and lepto's. cool.gif

Both tanks have large numbers of Tropheus in them and both groups look great, as do the lepto's who share with my duboisi.

But, if I was doing it over...or when the space becomes available I will, probably, move the lepto's out and go for Tropheus on their own. unsure.gif

So while it would look very nice to have many different Tang species in a tank, I must agree with Jim.

Look for yourself at the two tanks...

user posted image

user posted image

hmmm...Omar, thanks for the compliment.

Male/female ratio is, IMO, not a matter that needs to be considered if you house Tropheus in the correct numbers. I am pretty sure I said the same thing to you in one of your posts about your T's.

The fish in the first pic are T.duboisi(Maswa) and C.leptosoma(Malasa). They were intoduced to each other when the Cyp's were slightly longer(1-2cm) than the duboisi. Diet has been mostly Sera-Flora with a short period of OSI Spirulina Flake, they have been fed 4 times per day and once a month I feed them live brine shrimp. From the the moment the Cyp's hit the water they have been ignored by the duboisi...the dominat male T's let the lepto's swim thru their spawning caves without any attention at all.

Numbers of lepto's is 10. and 26 duboisi. Tank size is 134x60x43(cm) With 2 Eheim Cannisters(2213 & Ecco) and a 400Gal/hr Bio-wheel HOB.

Pic 2 is K1's, 33 adults and 12 fry in a tank that is 5ft(not 1500mm dry.gif )x2ftx17inch. Eheim Pro1 Cannister and internal Pwr-head.

Archived