Malawi setup effecting BN?

Luke Austin

Hi,

Maybe this should be the Bristle nose forum, just goes to show how good a fish they really are. I have a 3" BN in a Malawi tank at the moment that was moved in there from my American tank about a month ago. It's lost most of it's colour and while it seems to be eating/ acting fine, it doesnt look like it's healthy. So I'm just wondering if the higher pH and hardness could be effecting it and whether or not i should get it out?

Thanks, sorry about another BN question!

Luke laugh.gif

Luke

bristlenoses are pretty hardy fish but they are usually kept and bred in a neutral ph and as he came from your american tank did you gradually acclimatise him to the malawi tank as it is a sudden increase in ph if you just swapped him over. Having said all that though my bristlenose have bred in my malawi tank which is a ph of 7.6-7.8 laugh.gif . I have bristlenoses in both my american tank and malawi tank .

hey guys,

Thanks sarah, he seems to be healthy enough I'm not too worried that hes not well, he's been in there a while now so he wont die, he just looks funny. You could be right too ducksta, since I posted this I've added a little bit of wood for him and he seems to be getting darker again so it might have something to to with bogwood being part of their diet?????

No idea really just a guess, thanks guys, Luke.

The captive bred strains of Bristle nose we have these days seem to be able to live and breed on a wet driveway. The bristles I kept in my african tanks always seemed to find a good hide and breed. A few babies even managed to escape the cichlids long enough to grow.

You will also find that they have a number of different colours and patterns so don't be surprised or concerned if he changes his dress code now and then

Alan

Archived