leaky bulkhead.

rosco

Hi all,

after on of my 6x2x18's running for 3 years leak free last night I found a steady drip coming out of the bulkhead. This tank is up high and contains 50 breeders. Now Icouldpossibly jam them into another tank but it will be squeeze. I also have a damaged shoulder should I am going to struggle removing the bulkhead due to its location anyhow. Is there a silcone spray like no more leaks I can use to seal the bulkhead from underneath without having to do anything like draining the tank. I have tried putting a heap of salt around the outlet pipe inside the tank to hopefully slow the leak.

I guess worse case scenerio I can fire up my dormant 4x2x2 with cannisters and media from other tanks if I temporarily seal the weir by plumbing it sealing the end with an end cap. I have a few options but I really want someelse's view

Any hints or ideas?

cheers

rosco

hi Rosco,

do you know where the leak is from?

I think you'll need to temporarily drop the fish into another tank or tub then drain that one, pull the bulkhead out and clean it up or replace it.

I wouldn't recommend glueing it in, you'll just end up with a mess if/when you ever need to remove it.

Just tightening it up might buy some ..

I have seen some silicon that can be used underwater and is safe for fish.

however I cant remember where!

the last time I dealt with st George aquariums they were saying that they often drill tanks while they are full of water... give them a call perhaps they can offer some advice?

good luck

I guess worse case scenerio I can fire up my dormant 4x2x2 with cannisters and media from other tanks if I temporarily seal the weir by plumbing it sealing the end with an end cap. I have a few options but I really want someelse's view

Any hints or ideas?

cheers

rosco

hey Rosco

if you're not up to handling the repair atm, sit a container under it to catch the drip and empty it daily. other wise, the 'worst case scenario' would be the way to go. do it right, do it once.

Hi Rosco,

Tightening may help but I suspect the bulkhead has a small crack in it just below the nut where the pipe goes in. I had a similar problem and pulled it apart twice before i found it. The crack could only be seen when the pipe was inserted. The black bulkheads crack easier than the blue because they are harder plastic. I tried to glue but it could not hold the stress.

Unfortunately you may have to drain the tank.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks all for your replies.

I have gone for Col's option of putting a 5 litre contaer under it until I get some strength back in my shoulder (damn rotator cuffs whatever they are :dntknw: ). I have noticed over the past day or so it losing less say a litre overnight as opposed to 2 but I will do it once and right, because I too suspect that the bulkhead is cracked. I think the "worse case scenario" is the go until then. Then If only I knew some really nice individual to help mel 2 more holes and then I could partion the tank off into 3 sections ;):lol3: .

Righto back to enjoying my pain killers :wub:no:

Thanks all again

cheers

rosco

Rosco,

I feel your pain (literally!). I think I have done ligaments in my right shoulder playing squash (Will find out tomorrow). Severely hampers your day to day activities. Good luck with the tank.

cheers

shane

Just for the record, following on from Col's comment "do it once do it right" ....I ALWAYS glue a bulkhead in. Silicon is no hassle to remove and it would probably be fair to say if it was used in the first place (I assume it wasn't) it wouldn't be leaking now.

My only suggestion (that might help) would be to lower the water level as much as possible, and with a bucket under the outlet (block the inlet side in the fish tank with the appropriate plumbing fitting - and maybe with somebody to hold the bulkhead against the inside of the glass), with a spare bucket and lots and lots and lots of towels, try to loosen off the side of the bulkhead under the tank, with a silicon gun ready to go. Once a bit loose, get the glue in and redo. You don't have to wait for glue to dry if it is going to work.

If the bulkhead is cracked (?) it may be on the outside of the tank, so if this can be ascertained before hand, have a spare bulkhead part to fit. Off and on real quick - suck it and see. Otherwise drain and redo both sides of bulkhead (between rubber and glass - inside and out) with silicon.

When you tighten a bulkhead fitting do it tightish – then nip it up a bit more. With good O-rings, doing it up till you’re red in the face is counter productive.

Be absolutely sure that the water is coming from the bulkhead itself. Water can be tricksy stuff ;)

Thanks Craig.

This was the first tank that I ever installed with a bulkhead I have learnt the hard way and now I use your method of a siliconing the o-rings down especially inthe house with my new carpet.

Also I pushed the pipe down a little and over the past couple of days it has all but resealed. I now lose about 100-200 mls a night so it is not much of an issue now. I am really seeing the benefits of weirs right about now ;)

cheers

rosco

Archived