My Geophagus Altifron Aripuana II (aka Rio Branco)

Mattzilla

Nice pics Matt,

i have had mine since January and there at 10cms now.

what size where yours when they first Bred?

i would have to guess-timate that they where around the 2 yr mark.

i have been told that these guys usually need to be around the 3yr mark to breed but i guess i was lucky. since mine started they have not stopped!

have your's shown any signs of their sex? or pairing?

cheers

matt

i think you said that they where 6 months old when i got them so there about 1 year old, i havet seen any paring and i don't really know how to sex em.

i have had searched online for some info but cant find any either on the old name or the new name, can you point me in the right direction?

great pics, very interesting indeed.. and some nice geos you have there!

btw congrat on the spawn too.. how big are they? and how many fry do they usually have in a batch?

Robbo,

As far as sexing goes i am not sure myself of any proven methos but i would look for the the following atributes. Males will gorw faster and larger, males will be more aggressive, males get more of a hump on the head (see pics), females breeding tube is huge, male breeding tube is particularly small.... that is about it i guess. The only truely real way is when they spawn....

just give them good clean water and a large variety of food.

All my fish get spirulina discs, algea wafers, tetra bits, flake, frozen hikari brine shrimp and blood worms, shrimp pellets and they will even eat zuchini (and probably other vegies too but i have not tried) and whatever else is laying around.

I hope that helps a little.... i don't really know where online you can find info.... to be honest i have not researched them much myself... i only got them becuase they are such beautiful fish. i nevere thought i would have any luck breeding them.

Antz,

The female is about 8" and the male is about 9" *note this is a guesstimate*

Last spawn was a small one and i probably have about 100 fry. I usually get between 150-250 per spawn but i have had a spawn where there would have been at least 300.

I usually give the female at least 2 weeks rest after each spawn to fatten up and recover, so they can and usually do spawn about once a month.

If i run out of tank space i just seperate them for a few months.

hth

matt

actually i just had a look at the pictures and you can see in the first picture the female's breeding tube is only slightly down.... it gets about 4 times bigger than that when she lays.

the second picture you can see the male's breeding tube is pretty much all the way down. poor buggers have small peckers really hahahaha

hers is fat and long while his is skinny and short....

matt

Matt,

Perhaps you can clarify this for me. From the photos, both fish have different facial profiles? :dntknw: I'm no Geo expert but that is of concern! :shock: Perhaps it's the angle of the photo but it would be great if you can clarify!

The fifth photo gives the best example! :blink

IPB Image

Matt,

Perhaps you can clarify this for me. From the photos, both fish have different facial profiles? :dntknw: I'm no Geo expert but that is of concern! :shock: Perhaps it's the angle of the photo but it would be great if you can clarify!

The fifth photo gives the best example! :blink

IPB Image

well it does show one of the ways to to sex them

the female has a smaller shorter profile with a long angle. the male has a much bigger head and profile with a hump type shape to it's head giving it a very square head/profile.

maybe that photo excentuates it as well

oh and they both picked up the eggs today so all going well with the new spawn

hth

matt

Hi Matt,

a few questions if you dont mind

do the parents ever pick up the fry in their mouth?

when do you separate the parents and fry?

How many fry should one get to try and get a pair from?

can you keep them with cichlids while they grow?

ziad

a few questions if you dont mind

i don't mind questions

do the parents ever pick up the fry in their mouth?

yes about 24-48 hours after laying they pick them up and hold them in their mouths for about a week when they fry become freeswimming. they generaly let them out and about after a week

when do you separate the parents and fry?

once the fry are free swimming and have almost lost their egg sack (usually 7-8 days from spawn) i take the fry and put them in a fry saver in the same tank as the adults. Howevere i am pretty sure that they would raise the fry if they had the chance. mine have never shown any aggression to fry or juvies

How many fry should one get to try and get a pair from?

not really sure how to answer this one... i originally bought 10 and when they got too big for my tank i sold half. i was left with 5 a i was fortunate enough to get 2 pairs out of that five. at the end of the day i would suggest ten i guess.

can you keep them with cichlids while they grow?

i have kept them with angels and bristle nose and they have not even registered that they are there. juvies will eat smaller fish like neons (expensive meal) but i don't know hoe they would go with other cichlids. i would think that they would be fine but i have not had any experience myself

hth

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt

Can you point me in the direction of where you got the information about sexing them by their body shape? I want to get some of these fish and want to ensure I know all info about them. I read through all of the reference pages/chapters in Thomas Weidner's book and it has no mention on the different sexes having different facial profiles! :dntknw: All of the fish in the photos have the same profile!

Let me know.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Matt

Can you point me in the direction of where you got the information about sexing them by their body shape? I want to get some of these fish and want to ensure I know all info about them. I read through all of the reference pages/chapters in Thomas Weidner's book and it has no mention on the different sexes having different facial profiles! :dntknw: All of the fish in the photos have the same profile!

Let me know.

Thanks.

unfortunately i am only going off my own experience so i can't really point you in any formal written direction. There are other forum members with a lot more geo knowledge than me that may be able to help you.

Sorry i'm not much help in this department, but like i said i am only going my by my own personal experience...

matt

Archived