Paint tank backround and sides

sicj

Hi all

i would like to piant some of my tanks

where can i get the paint from and how do i go about painting the aquarium.

Cheers John

Hi all

i would like to piant some of my tanks

where can i get the paint from and how do i go about painting the aquarium.

Cheers John

Clean the glass then wipe it down with a product called ESP. (Easy surface preparation.) Wait 2 hours and then paint with any low sheen of flat acrylic from any paint store be it Dulux, Wattyl Taubmans or whatever.

I have painted a few tanks with just cheap spray paint you can buy anywhere. Mask up what you dont want to paint and paint away.I have also used a stone finish spray paint I got from bunnings, turned out ok but took a while to dry.

Awsome cant wait to get some discus tanks ready. :B

Hi all

i used contact (same as the stuff you wrap you school books in) , it comes in many colours and if you want to remove it, it comes off with no hassle,

Easy to use, the trick is alot of water, if you have ever seen someone tint a car or house windows, its the same with contact, ive done all my tanks on my breeding rack, takes bout 10 min per tank. soo easy.

and no mess to clean up and is raedy to fill by the time you put it on the stand, no drying time.

I can explain more if needed, Or drop by one night and ill show you

Thanks mick

Please explain why you would use water rather than just using the adhesive on the contact paper.....sounds like a good, effective alternative to painting tanks.

Thanks.

Please explain why you would use water rather than just using the adhesive on the contact paper.....sounds like a good, effective alternative to painting tanks.

Thanks.

Hey kim, did you ever cover your skool books at the start of the year???

get heaps of bubbles in them?

Water gets all the bubbles out of the contact, best to use a water spray bottle, spray water on glass that you wish to contact, pre cut contact to rough size of panel of glass, peel off the backing and spray with water, and put the sticky side to the glass, place on glass. now use a back of an old credit card to squeze out all that water that youy sprayed on to the glass and the cdontact, the water is to stop the contact from stickingand getting bubbles all thru it, once all the water is squezed out between the glass and the contact, it will stick like $%#@ to a blanket, cut off any left over contact, and shes done,

only have done my top tanks, cause the 8ft was already up n running, and when ever i wanted to move it, All my mates were busy, Funny that

IPB Image

Awsome idea IDO might have to come over so you can show me the tricks of the contact trade.

Sounds like something alot easier for me to do. :B

Kimo should be over the next 2 months but i am building or buying a stand to fit some 2 by 18s

so it should be awsome. Then i will be looking for some decent stock.

Also i have put some yellows in my 6ft tank and they are growing fairly quick. all is going really well.

Are the mainganos breeding like crazy?

G'day John,

Can't wait to see your new set ups. Sounds like you're really moving along with your "collections". Your Yellows should be getting big by now!

The Mainganos are breeding very well...thanks for selling me some great looking fish of awesome quality. I have two females holding right now and about 13 fry growing nicely too. Thanks again mate.

Hi all

i used contact (same as the stuff you wrap you school books in) , it comes in many colours and if you want to remove it, it comes off with no hassle,

Easy to use, the trick is alot of water, if you have ever seen someone tint a car or house windows, its the same with contact, ive done all my tanks on my breeding rack, takes bout 10 min per tank. soo easy.

and no mess to clean up and is raedy to fill by the time you put it on the stand, no drying time.

Thanks mick

Hi mate,

Where can you buy contact from? |I used the ones sold in coles/wollies as wallpaper/something in stationary section. But the side with glue is grey not black. Thanks. :thumbup:

Hi all

Thanks mick

Hi mate,

Where can you buy contact from? |I used the ones sold in coles/wollies as wallpaper/something in stationary section. But the side with glue is grey not black. Thanks. :thumbup:

Hey there

Kmart seems to be the best place, they have most colours, even checkerboard black and white :lol4: if you like that sorta stuff.

rolls are only 1mx45cm

or 2mx45cm, if tanks are higher that 45cm in my pic you can see the contact only goes one inch from the top, (water level) to the bottom, if youre doing a 6x2x2 or bigger, just join them together, easy as!,

Even practice on you windows at home :thumbup: im sure your family members will love to look of there new house :no: (or your neighbours will think your turning your house in to a hot house, with all that water and power being used, cops would be round b4 you know it :yes: )

If you want to have a look at it just pop over one night, its so easy to do and so easy to take off,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that you should prepare the surface with "ESP".

Also, paint many light coats with a roller. Brushes leave too many streaks.

Jamie.

Guys,

If I can't get the right coloured contact and I paint with ESP and a plastic paint, how difficult would it be to remove?

Thanks

Old Dave

paint can be removed from glass with a scraper or paint stripper. I have found that if you use enamel spray paint esp is not necessary. That explains why graffitti sticks to glass so well. I have painted lots of tanks and never needed esp and the paint does not come off. Also had a lot of trouble finding black or blue contact, never tried kmart though but just about everywhere else.

Also had a lot of trouble finding black or blue contact, never tried kmart though but just about everywhere else.

Looks like I'll take the plunge after a check of the colour charts, but before I do I will visit a signwriter to see what they have to offer. :yes:

Kmart has black contact but it is only 45cm wide.

Thanks

Old Dave

Looks like im off to kmart.

Re : 45cm wide - I wonder if you carefully applied the contact the join might not be too visible, especially if you joined it towards the bottom of the tank.

Archived