Covering weir hole

fongyfong

Ive seen a tank with a weir running a canister filter replacing the sump using same hole etc tho i didnt have a thorough look at the plumbing. I guess you could also just run a canister with water level just below the weir as if it wasnt there :wub:thumb

Ive seen a tank with a weir running a canister filter replacing the sump using same hole etc tho i didnt have a thorough look at the plumbing. I guess you could also just run a canister with water level just below the weir as if it wasnt there :wub:thumb

yeah thats what im doing at the moment..hehhe;) but wanna use the weir to hide heater and outake

OKay sump is a bit noisy for me and family complaining, anyhow how many have plugged there wier hole? and how do i cover the weir hole? and has anyone had any leakages?

Have you thought about using a Durso standpipe?It would help reduce the waterfall sound the water makes as it falls down the wier.

OKay sump is a bit noisy for me and family complaining, anyhow how many have plugged there wier hole? and how do i cover the weir hole? and has anyone had any leakages?

Have you thought about using a Durso standpipe?It would help reduce the waterfall sound the water makes as it falls down the wier.

Does it reduce it buy alot? quieter then the canister? i was just gonna cover it and when i move out get the sump agian prob a plastic sump

Does it reduce it buy alot? quieter then the canister? i was just gonna cover it and when i move out get the sump agian prob a plastic sump

I believe it is quieter & it can be tweaked to be as silent as you like.You also have the advantage of still having the sump which imo is better then any canister.Here's a link for you to look at mate http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ hope this solves your problem & allows you to keep the sump.cheers

Tomi.

I believe it is quieter & it can be tweaked to be as silent as you like.You also have the advantage of still having the sump which imo is better then any canister.Here's a link for you to look at mate http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ hope this solves your problem & allows you to keep the sump.cheers

Tomi.

thanks mate ill have a look at it cheers bro

No probs mate :thumb .

thanks mate that site you gave me have yew ever ordered from them? they selling the pipes are they good quality?

I'd just make a DIY durso,why buy it when you can make it yourself & save some $ for fish or other equipment.Here's the link for making one : http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOw...54/Default.aspx .cheers

Tomi.

No probs mate :thumb .

thanks mate that site you gave me have yew ever ordered from them? they selling the pipes are they good quality?

I'd just make a DIY durso,why buy it when you can make it yourself & save some $ for fish or other equipment.Here's the link for making one : http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOw...54/Default.aspx .cheers

Tomi.

Cheers bro out to make some pipes

G'day mate,

i thought it might help to show you a photo of my DIY standpipe,

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll153/e...s01/pipe011.jpg

As you can see it consists of standard pvc pipe and fittings available from the hardware store.

Remember to drill a small air hole in the cap.

It drastically reduced noise, but i suggest it is almost impossible to get it as quiet as a canister which is almost silent. Still some noise from the sump/spray bar etc, but fully enclosing & insulating the cabinet has helped.

cheers!

G'day mate,

As you can see it consists of standard pvc pipe and fittings available from the hardware store.

It drastically reduced noise, but i suggest it is almost impossible to get it as quiet as a canister which is almost silent. Still some noise from the sump/spray bar etc, but fully enclosing & insulating the cabinet has helped.

cheers!

ah okay thanks mate for the link havnt baught it yet the durso yet running the canister now still deciding weather to plug it or not for the time being and later when i get my own place run the sump agian as my family is complaing about the noise cos with canister is so quiet, cheers bro and ur stand pipe looks the pro :thumbup:

G'day mate,

cheers!

Glenn,

Great durso, love the offset. :clap

How much of a waterfall do you have?

Do you think a sloping runoff system rather than a waterfall would help?

Going to need one real soon.. ;)

Thanks

Old Dave

Glenn,

Great durso, love the offset. :clap

How much of a waterfall do you have?

Do you think a sloping runoff system rather than a waterfall would help?

Going to need one real soon.. ;)

Thanks

Old Dave

Thanks Dave,

Water level in the weir is about 13cm lower than tank level. There is very little waterfall noise, mind you i only have a 2400lph pump in this tank so it's not a very high flow rate. So i don't think a sloping runoff would be of much benefit in this case. However i reckon with any drainage system angled surface/pipe sections are preferable to vertical or horizontal if you can achieve it.

cheers

Archived