does light colour affect black algea growth?

Mattzilla

Hi i have bad balck algea on some of my tanks.... i have been told to get some young flying fox to clean it up but i was wondering if the colour of the light tubes affect the growth?

In one tank i used to have one white and one blue globe and i didn't seem to get that much black algea... well about a month ago the blue light died so i put another spare white one in. since then the black algea has gone crazy and is taking over the tank. i understand that more light can often mean more algea.

The tank is a standard 3fter with two globes now, which are:

1 x Atman 15000k Tri-Power Light (slight purple tinge to it)

1 x Atman 10000k Super Light (white colour)

I fertilize with Sera Florena at the reccomended dose.

i was considering putting a blue globe back in.

any suggestions of ideas?

Thanks

matt

• 8 months later...

Hi i have bad balck algea on some of my tanks.... i have been told to get some young flying fox to clean it up but i was wondering if the colour of the light tubes affect the growth?

In one tank i used to have one white and one blue globe and i didn't seem to get that much black algea... well about a month ago the blue light died so i put another spare white one in. since then the black algea has gone crazy and is taking over the tank. i understand that more light can often mean more algea.

The tank is a standard 3fter with two globes now, which are:

1 x Atman 15000k Tri-Power Light (slight purple tinge to it)

1 x Atman 10000k Super Light (white colour)

I fertilize with Sera Florena at the reccomended dose.

i was considering putting a blue globe back in.

any suggestions of ideas?

Thanks

matt

try turning off the lights for longer pierods or like you said put the blue light in, ive always wondered how to get that black algae cos i rekon it looks nice so thanks for the tip

sadly hilton you are correct....

Hydrogen peroxide (yes the stuff you bleach your hair with) is what i use now to kill black beard algae. works a treat and is as cheap as chips. best thing of all it doesn't kill your favourite breeding pair!

matt

Archived