Compatability issues?

Feldar

Hello All.

I currentlyhave 6 electric yellows in my tank, and have been meaning to add another species in there, but just haven't got around to it as yet.

Anyway, I was thinking of adding some Labidochromis Mbamba and wanted to check if they would be compatable.

I was also thinking of keeping all males - perhaps 5 or 6 - would this be a problem, or would it be best to have some females in the mix.

Lastly is there any chance of the two species interbreeding?

Thanks.

Those two should go well together, and if they are all males, there won't be any inbreeding.

If you have all male mbamba and male and female yellows, there is a slight chance of mbamba cross with yellows.

Bruce

Thanks for that - I should have clarified - the E yellows are a mix of male & female, 3 female and 3 males - 2 of which keep vying for dominance (the third male usually skulks away in a bolt hole somewhere).

Might see if I can pick up 5 or 6 males this weekend.

How big is the tank? You could try Blue Dolphins (C.Moorii). In fact, you could keep breeding groups of both in the tank (depending on size), with very little chance of hybridization. In past, I've even kept Nimbochromis species in with yellows (Venustus and Livingstoni), and everyone seemed to get along and go along, provided they were fed regularly. I would recommend avoiding Melanochromis species, as they will cross breed readily, and your yellow males would have a very hard life.

Awesome looking tank man! You could definately keep a few dolphins in there with the yellows. Actually, I think the blue/yellow combination would look good against the dark rock/light sand/green plants you've got going on. Alternately, have a gander at some Aulonacara species, specifically A.Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red strain.

Awesome looking tank man! You could definately keep a few dolphins in there with the yellows. Actually, I think the blue/yellow combination would look good against the dark rock/light sand/green plants you've got going on. Alternately, have a gander at some Aulonacara species, specifically A.Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red strain.

I think the tank is a bit small for c.moorii... they do grow to 20cm. If you want something blue to contrast with the yellows why not get some demasoni? Both males and females have nice colouring and there is very little chance of inter-breeding.

Edited by kickme

what you need is sumthing nice and peaceful. in my display tank i have a group of Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" with my electric yellows :hug: in another tank i have Pseudotropheus Aceii Msuli Point

in a tank of your size these are probably the only species i would try :thumbup: