What's the most fish you have bought and not got 2 different sexes?

philjo1

I recently managed to buy 8 Paracyps from interstate and ended up with 8 females. Once before I bought 6 multi's and ended up with 6 males... Just wondering if anyone else has my type of luck?? :confused:

Cheers

Phil

I reckon I'm the winner.

A few years ago I won 6 adult Pseudotropheus aurora "likoma" from MikeW in a photo comp. By the time I could collect them, he didn't have them anymore but he gave me 32 fry of the same breed instead. "Bewdy" I thought. I'll establish a colony and sell off the others I don't need. I was stoked :thumb

ALL WERE MALES!!! (professionally vent sexed too)

I read up a bit of info on this and discovered that in certain water conditions, it will alter the sex of fish, or something along those lines.

I reckon I'm the winner.

A few years ago I won 6 adult Pseudotropheus aurora "likoma" from MikeW in a photo comp. By the time I could collect them, he didn't have them anymore but he gave me 32 fry of the same breed instead. "Bewdy" I thought. I'll establish a colony and sell off the others I don't need. I was stoked :thumb

ALL WERE MALES!!! (professionally vent sexed too)

I read up a bit of info on this and discovered that in certain water conditions, it will alter the sex of fish, or something along those lines.

LOL I think Matty beats you at bad luck Phil :lol3:

I can certainly concur on the ratio of male to female whith varying water parameters. There was a documented article about the breeding patterns/behaviours of kribs! Apparently in the wet season, nearly all hatched fry are female and the males get born during the dry season where the water is more acidic due to the dead leaves etc in the water! It was a fascinating article! :thumb

I bought 10 kingsizei and only one was female!!! :roll

Yep Matty your the winner , 32 males wow..... That's a bit of a topic killer. :)

I bought 2 lots of 5 Cobalt Blue fry from differrent sources once and ended up with 10 males. The bad thing is takes months and months to grow fish out only to find you have no girls. :(

I also had a lot of problems sourcing Blue Dolphin females some years back as well.

Cheers

Ross

6 geophagus bahia reds shipped from Perth....turned out to be female iporongensis

same guy sent me what he called geo.rio aereos...they were actually geo argyrosticta(made up for the other mistake)

7 red faced araguia...all girls

5(20cm +) petina splendida ...all girls

3 25cm+ parachromis dovii was told had definate pair (had spawned)

found out later that they had laid eggs....all girls

perhaps i should start a post asking..."what have you ordrered and recieved instead???"

i think i will

Albino Bristlenose, bought 5 initially, all male. bought another 5 replacements, only two of those were female.

this is the opposite, My wife bought two "females convicts", ended up being a pair- and no- she wanted two females as she didnt want to them to breed.

actually I did get 4 e -yellows once, all male.

Archived