Stripping electric blues

fishfreak84

Ive been told to strip my electric blue, but Ive never done it before can someone tell me how to do it properly so I dont hurt my fish.

Hey,

I have not kept electric blues before but i would use the same process that i would use for mbuna cichlids.

With mbuna, I usually wait for around 10-14 days before stripping

To strip fish I would usually:

- Get a small ice cream container and half fill it with water.

- Net the fish and let her sit in the ice cream container for a while

- Cup her in my hand (make sure you wet both hands before handling the fish)

- Use a toothpick to pry the jaws open gentley while holding her under water (be very careful not to break the jaw)

- Dip the fish in and out of the water to get the last remaining fry out.

Throughout the above process i usually let the fish rest in the container to give her a break depending how stressed she gets.

If there is still egg sack attached to the fry, I place them in a tumbler until free swimming.

HTH

Good Luck

Cheers

Joel

Good advice Joel

just to add, I let mine go after about 30seconds then retry to get more fry from the mouth, think of holding your breath for that long. I also use a bic pen cap to open the mouth , much genter on the fish

Or set up a plastic container floating in your tank, easy to place under a brace.With airstone and a plastic pipe and i use a plastic plant to give the fry cover. Female will then hold longer and spit by themselves.

Give it a go.Much kinder to the fish as they are much older when spat out.

Also if the female is young she can spit them out early 7/10 days and you still save some this way.

I lightly feed the female as well because most do eat.

Try the search button above to gain more info.Theirs 3 hrs gone lol.

Archived