Serpentine rock

s a v v o

I noticed on some threads on this forum that some people are using serpentine rock in their aquariums. I also saw some in the display tank of a LFS.

I've obtained some from Australian Native Landscapes and intend to use it in my Malawi tank. The stone I got looked to have been lying in a paddock for aeons, and the underside was stained brown from the soil it had been lying on. I intend to blast this stain with a power water spray.

My issue is this: obviously, the rock has been weathered for a long time, and any undesirable substances on the surface hopefully will have leached out long ago. After buying it, I noticed that it's a bit brittle -- a bump can dislodge pieces that may flake off. The underlying material, previously unexposed, now comes in contact with the water.

Is there any concern about this, or is the material chemically inert anyway?

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows about this rock, or has used it in broken form and is able to comment.

Thanks.

Les

Australian Native landscapes how do they sell it 4

It's sold for about $100 per square metre. I got about six pieces (about a quarter of a metre, for $20). You can also get it at Sydney Sandstone at West Pennant Hills.

Les

It's sold for about $100 per square metre. I got about six pieces (about a quarter of a metre, for $20). You can also get it at Sydney Sandstone at West Pennant Hills.

Les

thanks bro thats cheap!!! is each peice a quarter of a meter? or all six together

Les

thanks bro thats cheap!!! is each peice a quarter of a meter? or all six together

Sorry for the delay in replying. The six pieces totalled about a quarter of a metre.

Les

Archived