Removing a weir - Is it possible?

Davo

I am looking at buying a 2nd hand tank that has a weir. Is it possible to remove the weir from the tank as I do not need it as I will be using cannister filters on the tank.

Thanks,

Dave

I am looking at buying a 2nd hand tank that has a weir. Is it possible to remove the weir from the tank as I do not need it as I will be using cannister filters on the tank.

Thanks,

Dave

Dude,

Nothing beats a mini reef/sump system... ie easy water changes, heater in sump and better/ cleaner water.... and it can even be used as a holding tank for the agro fish or two...

Thanks,

Dave

Dude,

Nothing beats a mini reef/sump system... ie easy water changes, heater in sump and better/ cleaner water.... and it can even be used as a holding tank for the agro fish or two...

I am going with the cannisters (2 x eheim 2260's or 1 x 2260 & 1 x 2080) because they are silent and my other half (she who must be obeyed) is not keen on sumps due to the noise they make.

Yep mate can be done!!!!! I removed one from a six footer a couple of weeks ago, but it did take me an hour an a half. Also if the weir has glass beads around it??? It will make it harder to remove!!!

mitch

Yep mate can be done!!!!! I removed one from a six footer a couple of weeks ago, but it did take me an hour an a half. Also if the weir has glass beads around it??? It will make it harder to remove!!!

mitch

Mitch,

How did you do it? The tank is 2.5 ft high.

Thanks,

Dave.

Thanks,

Dave

Dude,

I am going with the cannisters (2 x eheim 2260's or 1 x 2260 & 1 x 2080) because they are silent and my other half (she who must be obeyed) is not keen on sumps due to the noise they make.

Hmm,

If you think the 2260 is silent mate, you might have a surprise coming!! I have one of these monsters and it has so much grunt I had to sit the canister on styrofoam to quieten it down. It's still no quieter than my 3200lph sump...

btw 2 x 2260's! you sure are throwing some money at this project!!

The tank i removed the weir from was only a 6x2 so the height may be a bit of an issue!!! i guess you could lay the tank on its side with its weir at the bottom so you can get access to it!!!! Than its just a matter of getting some razorblades( if the tank does have glass beads around the edges you will need to remove them first!!! Than just slide the razor down the edges and slowly losen the weir!!!! Be very careful slicing at the base, where the weir joins the base glass!!!!! You may also need to put a new bit of silicone where the weir touched the base!!!!

Mitch

hi,

when I've had to do it in the past I used some very thin stainless steel wire.

Wound around wooden handles on either side (so it didn't cut my hand to shreds) and using it in a sawing motion it cut through the silicon easily then it was just a matter of cleaning it up with a razor blade.

Not sure where you'd get that sort of wire though; I happened to have some because I used to keep bees and it's the wire used for beehive frames. Fishing line might do the trick, particularly if you can find some fine wire trace.

kilroy,

I got the 2260 off ebay in Germany, only 1 yr old $220 delivered and in great condition. I am tossing up whether to buy another 2260 on ebay or a new 2080.

Dave

kilroy,

I got the 2260 off ebay in Germany, only 1 yr old $220 delivered and in great condition. I am tossing up whether to buy another 2260 on ebay or a new 2080.

Dave

Dave,

Have you got it yet? If is the real deal you've saved about $600 as the Eheim media is $250 alone.

Gotta be happy with that!!

Yeah, I'm with kilroy on the 2260... Noisey lil buggers thats for sure. It blew away my air pump for noise.

What size tank is it your getting? One 2260 is designed for a 1500L tank.... It definately does pack a punch :)

As for removing a weir its just a matter of cutting through the silicon joining the glass which isnt difficult, personally i just dismantled two tanks with a stanley knife and a few blades just make sure you get the long blades and you just need to get the blade between the two pieces of glass and viola cut downwards

**remember always cut AWAY from the body** the other thing is make sure you have lots of blades.

kilroy,

Dave

Dave,

Have you got it yet? If is the real deal you've saved about $600 as the Eheim media is $250 alone.

Gotta be happy with that!!

It was posted one week ago and should be here in one week. It does not come with the media but I will probably fill it with the eheim 2080 media pack. I can get that from a online store in Holland for $150 which has shipping free for anything purchased with a value over 75 euro ($122). I have dealt with them before and the service is great.

Dave.

If you are worried about the gurgling noise, just add a durso standpipe. Google it ;)

You should be able to make a wet / dry nearly silent if you plan it properly. The only noise will come from the return water pump. The sump underneath will be hidden, so it's easy to soundproof it (even if it doesn't look pretty), but usually if you use a spinning arm over filter wool and no drop for the drips coming out the bottom of the wool, the noise will be minimal.

Cutting the weir out will depend on one thing – how much silicon was used – that is, how big a gap is the silicon covering between the tank wall and the glass of the weir.

If the gap is sufficient, as has been mentioned fishing line will do it. The narrower the gap the thinner the fishing line that will fit and the easier it will be to snap.

Any wire as Laurie suggests will still need to be fine enough to fit into the gap. Same goes for a blade.

The problem will be if there is no gap, then it’s a hammer job to get out. The good news here is that it doesn't matter how thin the hammer is :blink .

An Eheim filter that is noisy!? That’s an oxymoron isn’t it?

Gday Craig,

Unfortuantly the 6x2x2.5 tank that I was looking at buying is on hold to someone else so it is back to the drawing board re sourcing a tank builder etc. Do you have any suggestions re tank builders, 6x2x2.5 12mm?

Also I am thinking of having 2 holes drilled into the bottom of the tank for either a Eheim 2260, Eheim 2080 or Eheim 2078. The tank will have 2 x filters, 1 x 2260 which I have already got and either a 2080 or 2078 which I am about to buy. I am looking at having one filter plumbed into the bottom of the tank (filtration for the bottom of the tank) and the other the usual way over the rear of the tank for filtration for the top half of the tank. Any comments re this, pros/cons.

Also what filter media do you recommend for both filters?

Thanks,

Dave.

Stanley knife works, as do piano wire and guitar strings. The strings are safer, if more difficult to use. Cut as much silicone away as possible, then use a sawing action with the wire. I removed a weir the other day from a 2x2x1.5, just using a blade, then VERY gently pulling against the remaining silicone. The weir was only 6mm glass, so it was pretty fragile and I had nil problems. Whatever method blows your skirt up I guess...

eheim noisy?, i thought they were meant to be quiet, my fx5 barely makes any noise its a whisper, my computer is louder.

Archived