Frontosa tank mates?

Hi all,

I have 6 fronts in my 5x2x2 , just have a universal background in there now with great protruding rock ledges the fronts hide in. I have 2 bad boys ( 2 x 32cm dominant males ) and 4 x 15-20 cm fellas. Filtration is excellent so not a problem to stock with more fish. Now the question is what can I put in with these big guys to get them to chill out and also make the display more attractive?

I am hoping that adding some other species will stop the big males hassling the other smaller fronts .

Any ideas appreciated :raisehand:

Hi.

Are you saying you have 6 Male frontosa in the setup? :)

Im assuming also that theyre Burundi.

I used to have some Burundi's in a 6ftr a few years ago.

I had a blue swimmer Yabbie, (large one) and 4 adult male Electric Yellows.

The blue and yellow used to look good with the Fronts.

And they'd never bother each other too much.

Occasionally the yellows were too overactive, but on the whole they got on well.

Karl.

Hi all,

I have 6 fronts in my 5x2x2 , just have a universal background in there now with great protruding rock ledges the fronts hide in. I have 2 bad boys ( 2 x 32cm dominant males ) and 4 x 15-20 cm fellas. Filtration is excellent so not a problem to stock with more fish. Now the question is what can I put in with these big guys to get them to chill out and also make the display more attractive?

I am hoping that adding some other species will stop the big males hassling the other smaller fronts .

Any ideas appreciated :raisehand:

Mate, I'd say I have 5 males ! one female in there as she hasn't yet developed a hump. And yes they are Burundi . I took rocks out as the males had their lairs as I called them and they would ambush the others and me when I cleaned the tank :lol1:

Now I took rocks out to cut out territories and they hover mostly in harmony and seem happy. Tank looks good still as background is really nice and there is heaps of space . Had 40 round river rocks stacked up before and the males used to be very territorial!

My fronts are also in a 5x2x2, but I have 1 male and 4 females ranging in size from 14 to 20-22cm. I have a few yellows, taiwan reefs and phenochilus in with them at the moment. Previously it was all tanganyikan with julis, leleupi and gold comps. You need to have some rocks and tight holes for the julis and leleupi to hide. Though by the sounds of it I woundn't add anything too small and you may experience some losses. So maybe try something not too expensive first in case it becomes lunch.

My fronts have breed in both setups and I haven't lost a fish to a hungry front....yet

Bruce

The golden rule is,,, if a front is not feed well it will eat anything it can get in its mouth.

Feed them well and they are fine.

But if I was you I would be moving on some boys and getting some more females.

Not as easy as it sounds to get large female's.

As anyone breeding them wants them.

I would only add large fish to the tank with all those boys.

And as said above have hiding spaces if you were to add say julis's etc.

Hope helps

Thanks guys! I've had these fish since they were the size of a splinter so hard letting go ! So far so good though in the bare tank :clap

The males look so good also and as I don't want to breed I don't want females! I just got a bunch of males from the breeder 2 yrs ago :p

I've got 6 fronts, all a bit smaller than you're describing in an 8x2x2, wit two males (about 1 - 1.5 inches between them) and S.Multipunctatus. I used to N.Brichardi in with them, which were quite effective as target fish (and the occasional snack, damn things breed like no ones business). I only got rid of them due to catastrophic silicone failure.

Thanks guys! Now I have to keep a lookout for a good deal on yellows and blues! I must admit though that the big males hovering look awesome , they are the best looking African by far with the frontal fins hanging about 10cm long , my ones look like exotic butterfly fish with a hump! If only I had an 8x2x2!!! I would have 12 in there !

Agree with you as display fish but yes you should have agro at that size

As said try some other fish with them but some rockwork that the dither fish can hide or breed as said

just adds to your display.the fronts will be far better with no hiding holes big enought for them to have their own territories as you have done.

8x2x2 damm nice display tank.Wish i could get one in the house.2 6fter and 5fter bar or I'm gone!! she said!!

What i'm saying is they would leave the dither fish alone better if added when young and that they are used to them better. Still will have some go missing but thats as in the wild and if you pick the right fish then adds to both your plesure and the health. yep i would try out of the fish thats above or many others.

Good luck

Trust me, a pair of 8x2x2's is no easy task! I had to build a TV cabinet between them, just to so as not to ruin a room, they dominate 6mx6m converted garage, and when things go wrong, holy snappin' duck poo do they go wrong!!! Don't even get me started on trying to move house, and how most builders don't plan houses around tanks of this size. Having said all that, I love 'em to death, they do look impressive and always draw comment, especially when everything is working properly. As soon as I work out how to post pics and stuff (I'm new to this whole interweb thing), I'll put somepics up.

Love your answer :clap , thats alot of water!!!

Did you covert it to a pool?

I have not had a 6fter go touch wood. :lol4:

But have had a 4fter make a mess of the sunroom.

Its not the cleaning up,, its getting caught by the missus thats a killer!! :lol3:

Should put a tank in my teenager's room the he could hide all the junk below it lol

yer surpose the missus is not that bad as I was allowed to build a 2.4mt x 6mt fish room

Try living with your parents. My old girl went off her cruet when the bottom silicone let go in her lounge room! That cost me a couple of bucks. After that, I was comprehensively banned from setting up the 6x2x2 that I bought at the same time as the 8's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived