Breeding Fish

Pik0

Hey guys,

Ive been given a 4ft tank split into 2 halves.

1 half houses an assortment of peacocks and BN about 1 - 2cm long and the other one atm houses 2 female convicts from my current tank just to keep the amonia going.

I want to get rid of the convicts and start a breeding colony of something. Just wondering what you guys would recommend?

I see colonys for sale but when its 10 or so fish it seems like alot for a 2ft. Would a small colony of 1m/3f of e blues or cobalts be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Angus

in half. i think a 2ft space may be to small for peacocks, get rid of the convicts and have a 4ft tank with bn and the peacocks.

the colony size 1m/3f should be fine... i think but not in a 2ft space

2 foot is quite small, although you can still breed some species such as certain shelldwellers and rock dwellers from tanganyika or you could get another four foot tank, use that for breeding and the divided tank for growing out fry :)

there are many fish that will live well in a 2ft and breed. cichlids however there are fewer that will be ok. u hav to think...when they breed...u need to move the fry to another tank for growout. so the idea of another 4ft to breed and this tank for growout is great!(if u hav the room)

I have another 4ft tank that is waiting for a stand to be built. Only problem is that I want to put comps and calvus in. (Yes i know they will cross breed).

So I cant really grow out any of them if they spawn. But I have a 2ft tall in my bedroom that I wanted to do something in. I might throw the fry (peacocks and bn) into the tank in my room and use it as a grow out tank.

AHHHHHH so many options!!!

Are you keeping an assortment of peacocks together and also keeping the fry you get from them?

Josh

The fry came from my mate is moving out and doesnt have the room for the 2nd tank and he got them from another mates dad. So there all just peacock and BN fry.

I think you should put the compressiceps in half of the tank and the calvus in the other. They will do fine in there and will breed given it is a small colony of 1m/2f or so. The use your 4fter and put in the Malawi colony that you wish to keep. That way cross-breeding is avoided and you will have suitable room for the fish you keep.

HTH,

Richard.

What Josh is asking is are they all the same species peacock?

If not they will cross breed and you will have hybird fry.

All peacocks will cross breed.

Just like the comps & calvus.

They would breed in a 2 fter but really not a fit way to keep them.

same for the peacock, 3fter min, then you could not have to many fish as well.

Hey guys,

Ive been given a 4ft tank split into 2 halves.

1 half houses an assortment of peacocks and BN about 1 - 2cm long and the other one atm houses 2 female convicts from my current tank just to keep the amonia going.

I want to get rid of the convicts and start a breeding colony of something. Just wondering what you guys would recommend?

I see colonys for sale but when its 10 or so fish it seems like alot for a 2ft. Would a small colony of 1m/3f of e blues or cobalts be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Angus

If you wanted to breed something in the 2ft just get a pair or trio of Mpangas.

I just have a pair in a 2ft and get 45 fry once a month even more sometimes.

Will do well in just a 2ft. Goodluck with the breeding

Archived