What is best depth for gravel (or sand) substrate.

glo

Hi,

I have a thin layer of sand in my geo tanks and a thin layer of aquarium gravel in my other tanks. I find there is less room for error in bare bottom tanks but thought having a thicker layer of gravel would be harder to keep clean. I now have heard a thick layer of gravel is beneficial as this allows anaerobic to grow.

What are everyones thoughts on no gravel v thin layer of gravel v a thicker layer of gravel and what is the 'best' depth of gravel to have?

Thanks

Glo

Hi,

I have a thin layer of sand in my geo tanks and a thin layer of aquarium gravel in my other tanks. I find there is less room for error in bare bottom tanks but thought having a thicker layer of gravel would be harder to keep clean. I now have heard a thick layer of gravel is beneficial as this allows anaerobic to grow.

What are everyones thoughts on no gravel v thin layer of gravel v a thicker layer of gravel and what is the 'best' depth of gravel to have?

Thanks

Glo

hmm,

I would go for no more than about an inch deep. I don't know about the anaerobic bacteria growing, but I do know you can get a build up of poisonous gas if your sand is too deep and you don't give it a stir and release the gases regularly. I'm sure this poisonous gas is the reason behind some unexplained fish deaths! I know of at least one person that it has happened to..