Is this my red's true colour?

Shel

Hi all,

I have a Red Devil "Reddy" I am not sure on his age but it would be under 1yr I assume. He started out with what I thought were weird colours but now he is just plain UGLY (lucky for him he has the personality).

Reddy is a typical Devil he has given me many Love/Hate bites all over my hands - Little Bugger! We just upgraded his tank to a 4ft and he has slightly larger pebbles and a couple of larger rocks to hide under.

My question is for anyone who knows Red Devils. As "Reddy" is about 5 inches is this his true colour or is he still to change. Can true Red Devils get this weird colour? Any info would be great.

Here hoping my photo's turn out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hes still going through the transition time. They go from the initial colour to funny red with black markings etc, and then either go plain deep red or orange or that with markings or "dirty" black markings.

Give him some more time.

Hes still going through the transition time. They go from the initial colour to funny red with black markings etc, and then either go plain deep red or orange or that with markings or "dirty" black markings.

Give him some more time.

Thanks for all your input. Since taking the recent photo his blackish markings are now very black. Only the top half of his body, lips and snout are black he has orange fins and pale orange belly. He certainly dipped out in the looks department. I will send another photo in a few weeks to show those who are interested how odd he really is.

Give it a few months, as D6C1 said they all go through the "ugly teenager" phase.

mine actually ended up with stacks of white on them as well as bright orange but they looked like that part way through for a few months

Yes i formally had a red devil that was like yours brown all over but he is now orange all over it took him about 4 moths to do so hope that helps.

cheers

Drew

Hmmm I saw red devils like this when i bought mine... But i bought a nice pink one and he still maintains that colour... Personally i think his colours may alter a little but he definately wont drop those markings...

From breeding them I can pretty much assure you it will drop those black markings eventually

Yours will MVP when its older

If i remember yours is a babe at about 18cm+

Ash has it right again,, remember 30cm fish in the right tank

And they are big fish so unless its one only they need at least a 4x2x2 min,, bigger better still

From breeding them I can pretty much assure you it will drop those black markings eventually

So those ugly brown ones will actually go pink/orange as good as one without the markings as a juvie?

their final pattern may vary but they all start looking like craP like that, the most dominant fish reach adult colouration first

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that Aussie Red devils are actually a hybrid of Labiatus and Citronallis. (Pardon the spelling).

We have sort of line bred our own species here.

The ones that come from Hazelwood pondage seem to have heaps of blotches of red and orange.

Mine is pink with a violet hue to it.

I always wanted one that was real bright orange but I am happy with the one I got.

I think your one is beauty.

It has the attitude to by what you have said.

If you ask me its coming along just fine.

Now how about some more pics

Archived